Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
My kit is going as planned.....no problems yet. The front hangers mount about 1" farther forward than the OE ones because the YJ leaf is a little longer, about an inch. I don't think it will move the front axle that much farther forward, maybe .25-.50" at most. And I would use the OE YJ shackles due to the additional length of the leaf....which is what OK4wd recommends and sells with their kits. I picked mine up for free.....a wire brush and some chassis black and they looked new. And yes......the shocks should have eyelets at both ends.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'm interested in this kit, too. It sounds like the new front shackle hanger is mounted forward of the stock location. Does that mean the front axle is moved forward as well? If I moved my axle forward even one inch, the sway bar links would be grinding against the housing, and I happen to like my sway bar for the highway. How about driveshaft length? I want to know all this before I drop the money, which is kinda tight these days.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told that Old Man Emu doesn't make any parts for a CJ. The catalogs sell kits with OME springs and their own hardware to convert YJ springs to CJ vehicles. That would explain the incompatible shocks.
You are correct. If you call them and ask any questions about a CJ, they have no idea, unless you ask for TR Burris. If you want, I can give you a complete parts list, including the correct shocks (Bilsteins).

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Matt....nice original paint and decal CJ you have there.....here is mine before it went under the knife for the lift....still waiting to see the end result.
I will put up pics after the lift is on for a before and after comparison.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Uhh...its getting the OME lift done, HD tie rod and drag link flip, and HD steering box brace. Having the front axle stripped down and re-painted while its out as well.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Yeah....will be running a new stabilizer as well. You can buy the flip kit from ok4wd. It comes with the 3 sleeves for the bottom part of the hole for the TR and DL, and the reemer.

I am going to be going with a new front bumper. Something small and simple. I guess the Laredo bumper will be going to the stash of OE parts in the garage taking up space :). I thought about trimming up the Laredo bumper......but don't have the heart.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Oh yes.......I know all about the removal of the winch to get the front bumper off.....and that is one heavy son of a *****! As far as the kit goes, we ordered everything separately because I wanted Bilstein 5100 shocks. We also did the greasable shackle bolts as well. Did you get brake lines?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I am not going to drop my t-case at this point.....unless it will allow me a little bit of clearance between the shaft and trans pan to run a bigger driveshaft in the front......I'm working on that too.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Cool.

Another question. My kit supplied (2) 1/4" steel plate shims for the front shackle mounts. You can see them on Pictures #2 and#5 above.

I was wondering what the purpose of lowering the shackle mounts was? Not a big deal, but unfortunately I snapped one of the steering box mounting bolts while installing the driver's side shim. Of course that led to another frustrating drill/punch/tap fix....I hate those!

Matt
We aren't at this point on mine yet....but are they to help the new, longer hanger from hitting the front bumper since they are moved at least 1" farther forward?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Oh yeah...now that you have your winch, bumper, etc off and apart, it may not be a bad idea to do a HD steering box mount if that is on your list...I am.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
This is turning into a great thread.....like you said before....a complete parts list is going to be great. Especially when we will have at least two to compare and for others to reference from.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Glad you hooked up with TR. He helped me alot when I first started researching what I was going to do. As soon as I said "CJ", they forwarded me to him. He then suggested OK4wd for the parts.....or 4wd.com.....same stuff.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Getting ready to do the EMU 2.5" lift myself. Think I will go with the "heavy duty" option since I am installing a 351W. My question is does anyone know if there is a difference in the rear and front OME springs in length? I heard one time that there is a slight difference in length and if you used four rear springs, you would not have to do the front rivet mod. Anyone know anything about this?
I am doing all four CSO36R. And I do believe that they are all the same length (front same as rear and vice versa). The reason I chose to go rear heavy at all corners was like you.....V8, plus a heavy winch. Maybe Matt can confirm.....

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Your the man....and good job. Can't wait till mine is done. I am thinking 32x11.50.....but if 33x10.50 will work....I may go for those. I am running 4.56 gears and a 360, so it doesn't really matter to me. Just like the look of a tall, thin tire on a CJ.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts