Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
you guys both are doing a bang up job on the suspension lifts...a pain now but well worth it in the end. One suggestion I would make is to beef up your shackle hangers with Crabtree Shackle hangers. He is here on the forum, I just put his hangers on my CJ and pound for pound they have to be the strongest part on my Jeep!

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Matt,

I don't care who they are or where they work, you are GOING to know way more about CJ's and their products than any salesman out there so you will always be frustrated. I know I am. However, educate them, be patient and they will eventually come through. I can't speak for OME but I have Rancho shocks and steering stabiler and they work great...

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
hey, Matt...much better looking, kudos on a job well done! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
To clarify my above statement, take a look at the front passenger shackle under a moderate compression situation.

Now, imagine the angle of that shackle, if the shackle mount was 1" further back.

Now, imagine the angle if it was 1" further back and under extreme compression.

I hope that's clear.

Matt
Matt,

under extreme compression don't you have other limiting factors such as your tire hitting your wheel well or your bump stops limiting you from buckling? This picture is about as extreme as I can get without rolling over...I have a Rubicon Express Extreme Duty 2.5" lift with a 1" body lift and swaybar disconnects...I suspect you would be able to get the same or possibly more...I scored 634 on the RTI ramp....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I am no suspension expert by any means and I do have a little longer shackles than stock and my Crabtree hangers are in the stock position. I don't know the length of my springs vs. Matt's. Having said that, this thread has been insightful for anyone looking to do a suspension lift whether it be OME or otherwise. If one were to decide on OME as the best way to go than this thread becomes invaluable.

So, with that said, keep up with the questions, offer insight and then come to your own conclusions! Thanks for starting it...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
A little more playing around with "Ol' Miss Spidey".....:D

Her right front is at 20" in the air. She'll go higher, but I don't care to put her on her side to find out just how much....yeah I'm chicken.
you CAN go higher, I just know it! Stuff that tire right up into the wheel well! Have a spotter while you are doing it of course...

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Matt,

Since you live in Colorado you should seriously consider adding some quick disconnects to your sway bar as it will help you a ton...again, nice job and now go enjoy...

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I just installed Sam's Offroad bracket a few weeks back and I swear my steering seems that much tighter...a great upgrade that will eventually need to be done

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Matt, now that you have house guests for a week, put them to work on the Jeep!! The old saying of "many hands makes easy work" holds true!

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Tim,

looking good but I wish I lived near you or visa a versa...I would just swap wheels/tires with you for a week or so to help you make up your mind!

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
the world can start rotating on its axis again!! you will love your choices, nice work! :cheers2:

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
:laugh:

now that would be funny wouldn't it? if only I knew Tim better!

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Matt, 85LaredoCJ7 and anyone else who has swapped over to the Old Man Emu springs...

How has the lift been thus far? How has your drivelines been both front and back when you have been in 4WD and flexed? Any chatter or problems? No transfer case drop, correct? It is because of this thread that I am going to buy and install this very same setup you did Matt for my pal's "86. My only difference is I am going to use Crabtree shackles and shackle hangers as they are by far the best out there (I have them on my CJ). I have been speaking with Jim at OK4WD and he has been fantastic to speak with. Very knowledgable and willing to answer my questions. I will be ordering everything from him.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
mvigo,

I'm still convinced the OME YJ suspension is the best setup you can put on a CJ. As you know from following the thread, I'm running the stock shackle hangers, stock steering components, and stock driveshafts. No tranny, or t-case drop.

I've had zero problems with mine, and the Ol' Girl handles better than she did new.

I often have to bite my tongue when we get our weekly "What's the best lift..." threads, because opinions vary so much, but I honestly feel the OME springs are the best money can buy.

Matt
I figured you would say as much. I was pretty convinced to go with BDS until I re-read this thread. Another thought process I am going to try at first is to leave off the steering stabilizer and see how it drives without it. Do you have an opinion? I am looking forward to installing this on my pal's CJ and, to be perfectly honest, I am now jealous of you all! Thanks for the reply...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Can anyone weigh in on if the Crabtree hangers will work with an M.O.R.E hd steering box bracket?
I have Sam's Offroad HD steering bracket and Crabtree's shackle hangers fit just fine...

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Because of the detailed write up and information in this thread :thankyou:, I have purchased from OK4wd.com in NJ the Old Man Emu 2.5" lift for my pal's CJ. I went with the HD rear springs on all 4 corners pared with their "firmer" ride shocks that comes with the kit.

Here is a plug for OK4wd.com http://ok4wd.com/, please listen carefully: Jim Oosteyk is the owner and he helped me. I ended up talking with him for 2 hours about CJ's. He is very knowledgable, was patient with my questions, very willing to accomodate my requests and was price competitive. If you are reading this thread for the 1st time, I HIGHLY advise you to call him before you go anywhere else. He is that good. Not only did he split up his CJ/YJ conversion kit to allow me to use Crabtree's shackles and shackle hangers, he also swapped out the shims that normally come with the OME springs and replaced them with the 4* shims (based on the advice in this thread) with no upcharge and knocked the price down by $200. He knows CJ suspensions, uses his products he sells and is genuinely interested in your experience with the items you purchase and install. OK4wd.com will be my 1st stop for all of my CJ needs from here on out. Call them...:thumbsup:

I also ended up purchasing for my CJ the HD tie rod/drag link flip kit from them as well and I can't wait to get that on...

Again, thanks to Matt1981CJ7 for starting this thread and all the others for contributing as it is another example of how JeepForum really can turn a knucklehead like me into a decent CJ do it yourselfer...

Reactions: Sparkybob

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
If you don't mind me asking but what did you pay for these with out shipping? He is only about an hour away and I'm looking to do this in the spring.
I paid $999.95 to OK4WD.com for the springs, shocks, conversion kit and bushings. I paid $401 to Jim Crabtree for 4 new shackles and shackle hangers.

Regardless of whether or not you buy from Jim at OK4wd, you should at least talk to them. They truly are insightful and extremely knowledgeable. If I lived an hour away I would make the drive just to meet him and pick his brain about CJ's. Good luck...

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
The heavy duty springs are used for the front to compensate for the weight of the engine, winch and usually beefier bumper. The same springs are also used in the back to typically compensate for beefier rear bumper with tire carrier, extra Gerry cans hanging off said bumper, hardtop etc.

Make sense?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts