Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 95 Cherokee Laredo 4.0. After she warms up the oil pressure will drop, then on take off (mostly out of 1st and 2nd) you can hear the lifters tapping or what I think are the lifters that is. After coming out of 2nd going into 3rd (and the oil pressure is back up) there is no noise at all. I am thinking that it could be 1 of two things oil pump and or the sending unit. I am new to this Jeep Forum so please excuse me if I am not posting this in the correct spot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have relatively the same problem but mine is only below 1k rpm. Its been doing it for over a year amd no luck finding the problem
Xskyfallx69 Ty for the response. What all have you tried as far as troubleshooting goes? I was thinking that it could be the oil pump and or the sending unit? Worse case scenario I've actually thought about dropping in a rebuilt whole engine down in this thing. Do you have any good leads on rebuilt motors? Ie companies?

Thanks Again.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Always start with the sending unit. Very common failure. This sounds like it could be more, but always start simple.

Jumping all the way to a motor swap sounds like overkill at this point.
I plan on purchasing the sending unit tonight and giving it a go. I stumbled on this Jeep forum the other day and I am grateful for for the input THANK YOU!

· Registered
11,038 Posts
Hello,

I have a 95 Cherokee Laredo 4.0. After she warms up the oil pressure will drop, then on take off (mostly out of 1st and 2nd) you can hear the lifters tapping or what I think are the lifters that is. After coming out of 2nd going into 3rd (and the oil pressure is back up) there is no noise at all. I am thinking that it could be 1 of two things oil pump and or the sending unit. I am new to this Jeep Forum so please excuse me if I am not posting this in the correct spot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Classic symptoms of worn bearings. When the engine is cold the oil is thicker. This will keep the pressure up. Once the oil gets wakjfrm, it thins and the pressure bleeds off through the rods and mains. Increasing the RPM's will get the pump spinning and flow more oil, compensating for the loss.

First, verify the loss with a mechanical pressure gauge. If there is in fact pressure loss, then you are looking at dropping the pan. Inspect the rod and main bearings for wear (there is also a chance that you have an issue with the cam bearings as well, but you won't be able to check these without tearing out the cam). If they are coppery in color or show more than .002 clearance, then you are looking at having to replace them.
You can check the pump while you are in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.