Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Big_Les
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the oil changed in my diffs today . 2004 GC
Paid the account ( in New Zealand so, cost is different here )
Paid for "2 x LSX 90 Diff oil" (total cost 32 dollars) .................what is this ?
Paid for "2 x part number 04874469 "gear oil " ( total cost 155 dollars ) what is this ?
plus a labour cost of 90 dollars ( about 3/4 hour )

What product do diffs need that costs 75 dollars each? plus diff oil that costs 16 dollars per diff ?

cheers
les

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I had the oil changed in my diffs today . 2004 GC
Paid the account ( in New Zealand so, cost is different here )
Paid for "2 x LSX 90 Diff oil" (total cost 32 dollars) .................what is this ?
Paid for "2 x part number 04874469 "gear oil " ( total cost 155 dollars ) what is this ?
plus a labour cost of 90 dollars ( about 3/4 hour )

What product do diffs need that costs 75 dollars each? plus diff oil that costs 16 dollars per diff ?

cheers
les
NZ dollars or US dollars Les?

Short production runs mean high prices.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The part number you have quoted for the expensive oil is for Mopar 75w-140 synthetic gear oil. The other appears to be a Castrol product. If you have varilocks then there does not appear to be any LSD additive used, which needs to be added.

The labour cost seems very cheap to me for the removal of both diff covers, cleaning out the casing, and replacement of covers using RTV sealer. Maybe they pumped the old stuff out - worth asking the question and not going to them again if that's how they operate, especially considering the mileage you quoted on another thread.

If this schedule is accessible then I think will you find that they have used the Mopar oil in the front diff and the Castrol in the rear, which in fairness saved some money. http://web.archive.org/web/20210427151009/http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/maintenance_wj.htm

The Mopar oil seems to be circa $33 a quart in the States, and would convert to NZ$49. Allowing for not too many Jeep products in NZ, shipping and mark up, NZ$75 should not really be a shock. Does beg the question why use Mopar brand diff oil?

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
2 x LSX 90 Diff oil" (total cost 32 dollars) .................what is this ?
Fluid for the front differential. 90 weight, standard fluid for an open differential. Need around 2L.

Fluid for the rear differential. If you have varilok, the recommended fluid is multi-weight 75w-140; I pay $15-20USD/L in my area. Need around 2L. As mentioned, varilok diffs require Mopar friction modifier (FM) which is not inexpensive. Some people use fluid that already has FM in it and report no problems, but my experience is you always need to add the FM.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts

les
LSX 90 Diff oil is Castrol Axle Limited Slip 90: a mineral based axle oil suitable for use in limited slip differentials.
04874469 "gear oil " is Chrysler Fluid 4874469 SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Gear and Axle Lubricant.

Just a guess here: they put one of each <above> in each differential....

·
Registered
972 Posts
NZ dollars
you either spend your money on tools & parts, or you spend your money on services. i pay for parts, and do the work (services) myself. changing oil is so simple, even a kiwi could do it!! >:) if it seems expensive, it is. you could have literally done it for the cost of the bottles of oil.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Just go buy any fully synthetic 75w-140 gear oil in bulk, say 5L bottle and 2 4oz bottles of friction modifier, half bottle in the front, full bottle in the rear, fill with oil. job done!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I need adviceI didn't find all the information,. What oil and how much oil in the front and rear differential + what oil and how much oil in the Transfer Case. Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 / year 2012 / 3.6L Thank you very much,

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Wrong forum Kikacka123u. This is the WJ forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts