Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im considering installing an oil catch can on my 07 WK 5.7. Ive read that in colder weather they have a tendency for the moisture to freeze in the lines. Since mine sits outside and doesnt get driven more than about every 2 weeks, am I looking at any kind of problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have ben running oil catch cans off of the ccv/pcv for years in a variety of weather, cold, mild, temporal, have yet to encounter moisture in the mix or any freezing related issues. Given that you are capturing blowback vapors, namely oil and possibly some fuel mixed in, I can't imagine the water vapor component would be high enough to be a problem. Just my opinion tho.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I can't imagine there is anywhere close to enough moisture in those lines at any one time to having a freezing issue, especially when the engine is not running!

·
90grandoneer
4,263 Posts
I live in a semi cold climate.....low temps range from about 0*F in the winter and maybe 50*F in the summer. Both of my Hemi's have catch cans, and I've never had a freeze problem that I know of, but one is always in a heated garage and the other is always in an unheated garage. In the winter months I do get the oil/condensation "latte" or "mayonaise" mix. I don't know the exact mix (I imagine the oil/condensation ratios are not constant) but I think it's obviously such that it would take some really cold below zero temperatures to freeze in the lines or the can. Also, if you service the catch can often enough in the winter months (or anytime there's a lot of moisture in the air), you'll have plenty of room for expansion if it does. My catch cans are machined billet aluminum and probably wouldn't have a problem anyway. In the past I've had the can in the Jeep fill to the top (about 4 oz.???) in as little as 800 miles. That really surprised me so, in the winter months, I check and empty it more often than in the summer months.

As far as freezing in the lines, I don't believe there is enough in the lines at any time to cause a freeze issue. Movement of the mix only occurs when the engine is running and there is sufficient manifold vacuum to allow for movement through the lines. Engine heat would also keep the contents of the lines to freeze. I say, go for it but check it frequently, especially in the winter months.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feed back. One un naimed site I was looking at mentioned the possibility of moisture freezing in the catch can. So I asked. Any way, what seems to be the most popular brand? Thanks.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, cant find how to start a new thread after the "improvement" but who's idea was it to "Fix" somthing that wasnt broken?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
ok, cant find how to start a new thread after the "improvement" but who's idea was it to "Fix" somthing that wasnt broken?
Scroll all the way to the top and in the top right, under the orange TJ there's a green [create post] tab

Thanks for the feed back. One un naimed site I was looking at mentioned the possibility of moisture freezing in the catch can. So I asked. Any way, what seems to be the most popular brand? Thanks.
The catch can will freeze if you live where it hits -25 to -40 F regularly, but like others said it usually thaws quick enough and usually wont freeze "solid" . You'll notice at those temps, you'll probably build up much quicker too as the air will turn to water instead of vapor until the engine is at operating temperature..
Also, take a look at the intake hose and your PCV valve. Mine are dry and carry almost no oil moisture it seems and my PCV never gets gummed up . But on the other side of the engine is the oil filler to air intake hose . That's the hose that pulls the air through the valve covers and crank and sucks it back into the throttle body. It's what causes your throttle body to get all gummed up and On mine there is always oil goo and water in that hose and it can cause my throttle body to freeze up on a full throttle pull. That's where I think I'll put my catch can cause there's no point on putting it on the clean side. I've heard of some people putting it on both sides even. The only caveat here is I have a cold air intake, so the hose is routed differently. mine shoots directly into the TB instead of the filter box like stock.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scroll all the way to the top and in the top right, under the orange TJ there's a green [create post] tab
Under the TJ i see a green square with "N" in the center. No link to start a new thread

1 - 8 of 8 Posts