Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Has anyone used EWR instead of DOM? I have heard that EWR is just as strong and is a LOT cheaper. The only kicker is the weld seam has to be in just the right position for bending or it will kink or dare I say split. Any experiences? With the cost of steel these days, a guy hates to skimp but if it will work just as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You guys have anymore pics of tie in options for say my CJ5 or anytie in for that matter?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Why is this thread dying? This should be exploding with everyones views and opinions.

·
Registered
179 Posts
How much extra vibration do you really pic up with rigid tie ins versus the bushing type? I've seen guys just add another, what looks like another body mount support and weld it to the frame with an additional body bushing(puck). Do these hold up? Probably not in a multiple roll situation right?

·
Registered
179 Posts
tube yj said:
the picture that launched a 20 page thread on pirate :rofl:

the gussets are nice but look at the welds they are using on there cages :rolleyes:
I was goint to coment on those welds too. They look like hell. I can't believe PSC would have that kind of crap on there stuff unless it is just a cover pass to give it some kinda bling factor.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't they look pretty rough to you? I don't see much penetration.

·
Registered
179 Posts
How does JP Offroad reinforce the dash to make these steardy?

·
Registered
179 Posts
SWWEEEETTT

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't think I would have gone with the exspence of powder coating. Also what is the point in a driver side grab handle?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Jeeponrock said:
And still nothing about the capsule v. solid mount to the frame debate... I guess I'll step in it.

I will be attaching all of the seats and harnesses to the cage. The cage will NOT be solidly mounted to the frame, but rather it will be poly mounted. Aside from the Noise/Vibration/Harshness aspect (which is why there are cushioned body mounts in the first place)
The tougher part for me is figuring out how to make the back seat accessible (I have a little boy that will ride back there on and off of the trail), as well as not make it impossible to pack for a ride. I'm not building a comp buggy, but rather a trail machine that I can (and will) drive on the street.

BTW, what is the point of bothering with the cushioned body mount if the cage is going to be solid mounted to both the frame and the body? There is no longer and isolation and it would actually be stronger to solid mount the body to the frame at that point (like a unibody).
I'm with you on these parts brother. I'm not to sure I want my body leaving my frame though. I see what you are attempting to do with disipation but not really feeling the SEPERATION part.

I never have understood why people get lazy and just riggid the cage through a cussioned body :brickwall

This is becoming a strong family oriented sport and passenger accesability is important. I feel gussets rather than "B" pillar crosses would let you pass through, but this limits you too lap belts only.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a question. With all this talk about triangulation and hoops collapsing when unsupported, wouldn't that make the CJ and '87-'91 YJ cage superior to the later '92 and up Wranglers? I have this argument on the YJ forum all the time. But it seems to me that the early design is a lot stronger. There is really nothing keeping the '92 and up roll bars from just folding over in a rollover, it would seem to me. Any opinions?
Buddies factory '75 bar. NOT very strong.

We spent a lot of time on this beotch too. Only had it for bout 3 months after finishing it to. Dumb box pulled out in front of him at about 40mph.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The guy with the flat top and the gash on his temple was driving and the only one hurt. Just scratches. This pic was taken a couple days after the wreck. He was driving down a 45mph zone when a woman pulled out in front of him. He swerved right caught the gravel shoulder and countered left and tried to correct and piled into the car upside down landing on the car. God was his copilot that day, and nobody was with him. This is all hear say too. My buddy had his bell rang pretty good and dosn't remember much if any of it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Big Limes Yota big brother

Little QE action.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looks like nice work but don't these A pillars look a little , well weak?

Shouldn't they be a little straighter? Yah the dual B pillars would hold up a buss, but these "S" A pillars could calapse under load like an endo flop.

·
Registered
179 Posts
X's weren't there yesterday but are today. Sup wit dat?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wow back from the dead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.