Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Off-roading Tire PSI WK2

619 4
Hello,

I’m wondering what the recommended off-roading psi would be for a non bead-locked wheel for a Limited WK2.

My cold tire pressure rating is 33/36 front-back.

I’m going over grave/light mud/rocks with gravel being the most driven on terrain.

My wheel is the 265/r20 so the wheel is a bit larger then the tire itself. the tires are Yokohama g015.
I have deflated my tires to 25/28 before but usually run 28/31.
Is it safe to go down to a lower psi ?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,861 Posts
you have a way to air up? Main issue is the 20s on a small tire, not much side wall.

whats safe is more about how its driven off road. Your set up is for street performance. would be like a guy in a vet asking how low can they go down for off road.

I dont have bead locks and my starting air down is 8 psi. But i run 17x9" and on 35 once and 37 now. No issues in ten years. at 6 psi i have debeaded, not a big deal. Like ridding on pillows. You wont be able to get there.

I would try going down a step at a time see how much you can/need to. heck i run 25 street rear 27 front on a JKR.

·
5,962 Posts
On the beach, I run my WK2 at about 15 PSI. Mine is a Trailhawk on 18" tires.

For what you are describing, you really don't have to go too low. 15 PSI is probably going to be fine. Just make sure you have a way to air up when going back on pavement.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
I usually don't air down unless I'm in the sand. I've found for hunting, fishing, fireroading, and virtually all "normal" wheeling, there simply isn't a need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts