Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well then, let's hear the story about the build!

Hoss
Long story short I wanted a smaller diesel pickup that was off road capable. At the time nothing really existed and swapping a diesel into a newer gas pickup is extremely difficult in the Denver Front Range area. So I traded my ZJ for a 75 CJ5. My best friend had a 4 door long bed Tacoma. Turns out the 4 door Tacoma cab is the same length as the CJ5 tub so I matched the Tacoma's wheel base. I went with coilovers in the rear with triangulated links. Spring over in the front with YJ springs. Still had a used set of YJ leaf's in that picture. I bumped to 2.5" YJ leaf's but they have since flattened out so now I'm about to add 4" leaf's and slider boxes.

Since I know someone will ask the old rear wheel houses and gunnels are getting built into under body tool boxes. I'm building those now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Again I say, W in T actual F?!?!?

Hoss
I agree, Hoss. That is ridiculous. Everyone knows you have to run all the shocks in the same direction...
Yeah but... Wait! What???

I am definitely confusion on this. There's obviously no benefit to running so many shocks so.... why? The coin dropped to buy all those shocks could have paid for a set of coilovers. Or... a set of actual fender flares instead of some cut down corrugated pipe. Just saying...

I'm pretty sure some angels lost their wings for this build.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not sure we're talking about the same pictures. The Jeep in the pictures I'm looking at has round headlights, an extended tub and longer wheelbase. To my knowledge that's a CJ6. The only thing I can identify as a YJ is the "family bar" roll bar. That may be from a YJ. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

They did. Not Wranglers though. That CJ6 is from the 80's.
No, it's a wrangler. A YJ to be exact. The first Jeep to be called a Wrangler.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not sure we're talking about the same pictures. The Jeep in the pictures I'm looking at has round headlights, an extended tub and longer wheelbase. To my knowledge that's a CJ6. The only thing I can identify as a YJ is the "family bar" roll bar. That may be from a YJ. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
That's really weird. The picture I see in the post you quoted is definitely a YJ - square headlights and all.

This is the picture I see:

Edit: I see it now - you quoted the post with YJ, but you were referencing SKT's earlier post. Those definitely look like CJ6's.
Okay. We were talking about different pictures. LoL! And both correct. I didn't even see that picture in the earlier post. However it looks like more CJ6's were built in the 70's then the 80's. Less of an 80's Jeep then the YJ in that case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm no expert, but it looks like the CJ-7 was produced 1955 -1981.

I bet that diesel version was nice.
That makes sense. I've never seen a CJ6 in person. The smaller door makes the tub look longer then a CJ7/YJ. The article I found said the CJ6 started production in the 70's. Apparently that's wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts