Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, yesterday while I was going to gas station the Grand Cherokee tyranny behaved weird and ended up with high rev and no shifting, came back home and got code 26 using the O/D light, with check engine light I got 12 and 55, should I buy the governor sensors or should I do something else before? Transmission is 42RE 2WD it was rebuild 2 years ago it ran 1,500 miles take or give a few miles.
1995 Grand Cherokee Laredo

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ned help, I change both sensors related to code 26 and the problem is gone but now first gear is weak I Rev the engine a bit and then first gear kicks in and all gears are good, it is just when I stop completely like a Red light then take off on green light, I adjusted the cable and both bands...........TP

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Relay and cap are good, what I did find was the trans oil cooler check valve clogged, I am deleting it, I already order the shift kit jr but will test after deleting the check valve..........TP

· Registered
24,254 Posts
With my 46re it would go into limp mode on occasion and had some gov pressure solenoid symptoms. I chased the problem for about a year until I found out the reverse snap ring/overdrive had broken but didn’t leave any pieces in the pan so it was quite a pita. It’s a common failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will check that, I will remove the tranny if I can't fix this problem, BTW code 26 is back, could it be the new solenoid went bad? I think I will order the Borg Wagner this time...........TP

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you check the TCM? Even if the caps and relay are good, they can still be bad. On my 93 getting solenoid codes after replacing the solenoid was a bad TCM.
Besides the visual inspection of the relay and capacitor how can I check the TCM? I only have OBDII Scan tool, don't have OBD1 scan tool......thanks and happy Christmas

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello, I try another TCM same as mine 1995 Grand Cherokee with 42RE transmission and same problem, I am removing the valve body to check and install shift kit jr. will post photos if I can in forum

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Happy Xmas and New Year 2023 to you all, I am fixing the TCM and will test on my friend's Grand Cherokee just to be sure I cover all the bases, another TCM, 1-2 aluminum accumulator, TF-GOV-SOL the already installed SK Jr. another new filter and 7 quarts of new ATF+4, 7 quarts because that is what came out when I removed the Valve Body. Any suggestions? Thanks ........TP

· Registered
4,312 Posts
Not too long ago, there was someone selling NOS TCM's on ebay. Something about they came off ZJ's that were going overseas. I bought two of them for spares. I think they were around $100

Reactions: TurboPirate
1 - 20 of 31 Posts