Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

np231 mode fork replacement

343 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  dfranz1990
So I've got a '98 XJ with the np231 t-case. Apparently the PO had messed with it before. So I was taking it apart while its still attached to the jeep to install an SYE kit, and the first thing I noticed was it was bone dry inside. I hadn't checked it since I got it because the drain plugs were rounded out, so that's on me obviously. The other thing I noticed right away was the mode fork retaining spring and oil pump tube were missing from it. So it destroyed the oil pump and the mode fork. I have the replacements for it ordered and on the way. So my question is - can I remove the mode fork while the t-case is still in the jeep, or do I need to pull it all apart to replace it, therefore better off pulling it from the Jeep? Figured I would ask before finding out the hard way. Any info helps, thanks.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim Automotive design
Tire White Automotive tire Black Wheel
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
04 TJ
1,108 Posts
If it’s been ran long with no fluid, I would suggest finding a used unit. Likely it has a lot more problems than what you’ve found...eg bearings, gears etc.
More cost in parts than the used one should be.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has actually been sitting in my garage since February because I had to replace the floor pans and parts of the frame, and it did have fluid in it before because it did leak a bit onto the garage floor. I'm hoping I can get away with just replacing the few parts right now because I have to have it ready to drive to Ohio from Illinois on xmas eve. After this winter, I may do an overhaul on it then. That's why I'm hoping I can remove the mode fork without taking it all apart for now.

· Premium Member
23 Posts
The shift fork does remove from that side, it and the rod it's on slide out. But since you're that far in, I would consider dropping the TC and going through it, get a bearing and seal kit, it's not too difficult; the hardest part is getting the front PTO rear bearing out, but many auto parts stores will rent/lend a blind bearing puller.

Automotive tire Automotive design Public space Motor vehicle Gas

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Engineering Gas

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I think I will just get the replacement parts for now, but because of both your recommendations, I will definitely pull it and do a full rebuild on it after this winter. I'm just glad that I will be able to get that fork out without dismantling much more. Definitely putting a lift in the garage in the near future. Being on a creeper for a long time sucks.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I'm getting lucky as my dad is the one buying the lift and extending my garage. It's due to building a house in Ohio and getting a condo close to me, and he has nowhere else to put his '72 Stingray. My parents finally got rid of the 3 of us kids, so they're downsizing soon. I like the idea behind the trans support, by the way!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts