Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Read about the 228 here. The Novak Guide to the New Process 208, 219, 228 & 229 Transfer Cases as found in FSJ & XJ Jeeps, 1980-1991

"The NP228 had a direct-drive 2wd mode. It used an internal, open differential for four-wheel-drive mode and high range and featured a fully locked mode in four-wheel-drive, low range. It featured vacuum actuation for mode operation and a conventional shifter linkage for range operation. This transfer case was used in the XJ Cherokees as the optional in lieu of the NP207.

The NP229 was similar to the NP228, but it featured an internal viscous coupling for full-time operation. This transfer case was offered in the FSJ Grand Wagoneer."
That’s the thing, the front axle currently in mine doesn’t have a vacuum actuator on the axle. It’s just a plain old solid axle. The dash 2hi/4hi selector is there and a little bit of some vacuum lines with it and that’s it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Kinda how mine is set up. Except not sure in the rear tho
According to the official Jeep shop manual I had, the rear could also have been a Dana 35, they were both very similar in outward appearance. I had the Chrysler, and I put in a Lock Right lunchbox, worked fine, just had to pull the c-clip axles and change the diff gears, left the carrier intact.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
According to the official Jeep shop manual I had, the rear could also have been a Dana 35, they were both very similar in outward appearance. I had the Chrysler, and I put in a Lock Right lunchbox, worked fine, just had to pull the c-clip axles and change the diff gears, left the carrier intact.
Thought about finding an explorer 8.8 myself to put in

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Forget about vacuum actuators on the axle.be glad it isn't there.They have nothing to do with shifting the transfercase into 4x4(np228 is an odd one). And the front is definitely a d30 not a d44 from a tj
Just checked the rear. It’s either a Chrysler 8.25 or a Dana 35. Kinda hard to measure with the gas tank in the way

·
Premium Member
12,431 Posts
2 to 4WD and back is vacuum operated.
4H to 4L is the lever in the console.
Why do you think it is stuck in the first place? And if it was, the 228 transfer case can be driven in 4WD all the time in H.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts