Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new to the group kinda. Anyway, recently bought a 1986 jeep wagoneer xj. The axle (currently) in it has no provision for the vacuum connect/disconnect 4wd even tho it has the 2hi/4hi switch on the console. Just curious of what kind of axle it is. Will send a picture of it.
2nd picture is where there’s no vacuum 4wd switch.
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Tints and shades

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Real Jeeps have dents
29,692 Posts
It sure looks like a Dana 30. Probably swapped in from a later model XJ Cherokee

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tcase goes 2x4 or 4x4 and low...

The CAD was to make it like it had Hubs like in the old days it would free spin. Then they went to No cad and the front turns. Like all TJs and JKs But Now guess what its back all JLs have cad too and its trouble as well. fails
Mine just has the hi, low, and neutral. Not the hi, low, 4a, and neutral like the later cherokees did(can’t remember what they called it). I’m pretty sure someone swapped this front end in and it’s just not the right one.

·
Registered
1995 ZJ, 1998 ZJ
454 Posts
Look on the back side of the transfer case for a round metal tag that has the model number. Sounds like a 249.

·
Real Jeeps have dents
29,692 Posts

·
Registered
2002 jeep WJ 4.7 / 2001 Jeep XJ 4.0 L
204 Posts
Hello new to the group kinda. Anyway, recently bought a 1986 jeep wagoneer xj. The axle (currently) in it has no provision for the vacuum connect/disconnect 4wd even tho it has the 2hi/4hi switch on the console. Just curious of what kind of axle it is. Will send a picture of it.
2nd picture is where there’s no vacuum 4wd switch.
View attachment 4154048
View attachment 4154049
is the fill plug on your front differential a rubber plug or a screw in type ? it might be a dana 30 high pinon or a dana 44. there is a place on the web for your build sheet . i would try to find it and retain a copy on your computer for further use...im sorry i cant remember the site i got mine for my WJ and my XJ...you can search in this site here on JEEP FORUM for build sheets and see if there isn't a link to where you get your build sheets...you need your DMV number from your wagoneer before you can get the build sheet..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
is the fill plug on your front differential a rubber plug or a screw in type ? it might be a dana 30 high pinon or a dana 44. there is a place on the web for your build sheet . i would try to find it and retain a copy on your computer for further use...im sorry i cant remember the site i got mine for my WJ and my XJ...you can search in this site here on JEEP FORUM for build sheets and see if there isn't a link to where you get your build sheets...you need your DMV number from your wagoneer before you can get the build sheet..
Screw in type plug I’m pretty sure

·
Registered
1995 ZJ, 1998 ZJ
454 Posts
Read about the 228 here. The Novak Guide to the New Process 208, 219, 228 & 229 Transfer Cases as found in FSJ & XJ Jeeps, 1980-1991

"The NP228 had a direct-drive 2wd mode. It used an internal, open differential for four-wheel-drive mode and high range and featured a fully locked mode in four-wheel-drive, low range. It featured vacuum actuation for mode operation and a conventional shifter linkage for range operation. This transfer case was used in the XJ Cherokees as the optional in lieu of the NP207.

The NP229 was similar to the NP228, but it featured an internal viscous coupling for full-time operation. This transfer case was offered in the FSJ Grand Wagoneer."

·
Registered
04 TJ
622 Posts
Read about the 228 here. The Novak Guide to the New Process 208, 219, 228 & 229 Transfer Cases as found in FSJ & XJ Jeeps, 1980-1991

"The NP228 had a direct-drive 2wd mode. It used an internal, open differential for four-wheel-drive mode and high range and featured a fully locked mode in four-wheel-drive, low range. It featured vacuum actuation for mode operation and a conventional shifter linkage for range operation. This transfer case was used in the XJ Cherokees as the optional in lieu of the NP207.

The NP229 was similar to the NP228, but it featured an internal viscous coupling for full-time operation. This transfer case was offered in the FSJ Grand Wagoneer."
228 rang a bell but that refreshes my memory....
That’s really early XJ system.
It would have a vacuum switch/lever on the dash that engages the T-case and a shift lever for low range.
And my mistake, yes you need vacuum to the case shift motor and I don’t believe they used a CAD yet.
I remember all the needles fall out when you split the cases !! 😱

1 - 20 of 32 Posts