Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Northeastern VT

3154 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  VermontXJ802
Anyone on here located in the northeastern part of the state?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
11,820 Posts
Yea- but some great spots to trail ride are now gated and posted. A couple class 4 roads are posted too. But some good trails are still around. I'll be running a few this summer for sure!

· Premium Member
11,820 Posts
Showjyr said:
How the hell do you post a class 4 road? It's a public road so it's open to any road legal vehicle
Sometimes they get "thrown up" (declassified or delisted) but most often I think people gate them or post them cuz no one puts up a fuss... A law makes no difference without enforcement....

There are many unmaintained historical roads that get grown up until impassable and then some (non-native) buys the tract, clears the road, gates and posts it. And yes I am thinking of a specific "log road" on the way to the reservoir in Hyde Park that I've been on that now has a bridge, culverts, a gate, nice gravel (sic), and yes, no trespassing signs.

Was a class four, once, that ran through a piece of acreage. But now adjacent acreage is landlocked and inaccessible and I am told it is all legal 'cause it was eminent domain. Town didn't maintain it is the reasoning. I am no lawyer but that is hokey Baloney. I think they used to call roads like that class 6 in NH.

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it's listed in town records as a road, regardless or what classification, it can't be gated or blocked in any manner...ask me how I know. The road not being maintained doesn't revert it back to ownership of whomever owns the surrounding land unless it's changed in town records.

We own a 28 acre parcel that used to have an old town road through it. The road still exists in town records but it would take a surveyor to even find it...not to mention the 12"-16"+ trees scattered everywhere. They moved the road 40+ yrs ago and the only people who maintain that are hunters and the occasional guy with a saw.

· Premium Member
11,820 Posts
Showjyr said:
I'm working on getting part or as much as I can of about 7000 acres opened up to a group of us this year...it runs from Wheelock to the Canadian border.
That sounds interesting!! I will have to pay some attention to monitoring the VT threads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.