Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep Cherokee XJ
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.7 Stroker

I’m getting spark to the ignition coil nothing from the distributor. Brand-new distributor, distributor cap and rotor, new NGK plugs gapped to 35, new pick up coil that came with distributor. I am completely lost and could use some assistance.
Thank you.

·
Registered
Jeep Cherokee XJ
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased a new distributor yesterday and it came with cap and rotor also the pick up coil with it. The wires are not that old I just purchased those a couple months ago. I will dig around my garage and see if I can find another spare coil wire though.

·
Registered
Jeep Cherokee XJ
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have now lost all spark nothing coming from my ignition coil now. Last night I had spark at that point. Timing is dead on top dead center. I have replaced every part that is related to this issue. I am at a complete loss and have no idea where to go from here. I never take my vehicles to shops because I know they charge way too much, but I may have to buy the bullet on this one and see what’s going on. Thanks for everyone who has responded much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Well, no spark is no good. I meant TDC Compression. I've seen a lot of posts where TDC was on the wrong stroke (very common).

Check the coil connections on both ends. Make sure the coil wire to the distributor is pushed in all the way on both ends. Check the harness connection too for any corrosion and look inside coil side of that connection.

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
the distributor does nnot set ignition timing.
First lets check if coil is working - getting 12v.
Key on - is there 12v at coil wires? - REMEMBER 2sec then the ASD will open and not send 12v to coil.

did you get 12v?

YES - jump the connector with a test light to each cavity - crank engine did test light flash?

NO - let us know.

·
Registered
Jeep Cherokee XJ
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back probed the crankshaft position sensor got 5 V Key on, test light did not flash while cranking it just stayed on. No power to ignition coil plug with Key on. Tested all my relays and they are working properly. I have remote start so it makes it a little easier for me to do testing while under the hood. I have considered buying another key ignition to see if that may be the issue, but the one in there is less than a year old.

·
Registered
Jeep Cherokee XJ
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At this point I will be removing my remote start set up trying to find anything that would cause my problems. I have 90% of the Wires track down where they need to go but I have two under the dash I’m not sure where they go. I will put pictures up after work today hopefully somebody can help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts