Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to replace the rockers and the rear web between the rockers and uniframe rails on my '02 Jeep WJ.

The rocker panel replacement I've ordered is the Spadano Enterprises ROCKer Sliders. For the web I'm having to fabricate something as that parts not available anywhere.

Fairly simple design, and I've knocked out the bulk of the design and build for one side in less than an afternoon. The original piece had an oval hole with dimpling around it. The dimpling caused sand and salt to be trapped inside, resulting in that being some of my worst rot.

My plan is to punch an ~ 2" hole or 2 in the bottom facing side of the piece to facilitate flushing the area with water to wash out any sand, salt, or other debris that may work their way inside there.

I'm debating whether I should dimple those holes or not. I'd have to order a set of dimple dies, and they'd have to be bolt driven, as I don't have a press, or even room to put a press(or else I'd have one.)

So the question is: No dimple, Dimple up, or Dimple down?

·
3,356 Posts
I think you answered your own question. No dimple will be fine. More important protecting the new metal from premature corrosion.

Ron

Reactions: Ravenbar

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you answered your own question. No dimple will be fine. More important protecting the new metal from premature corrosion.

Ron
\

It'll be getting a coat or 3 of cold galvanizing weld through primer, then one done, put a spry paint nozzle up into the hole and spray so much it's dripping out the holes, as the paint finish is in a hidden area. The exterior will be getting numerous coats of paint, then probably a topcoat of truckbed liner, as I plan on covering the new rockers in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.