Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new here, guys, so go easy on me. I’ve been doing research on this so long my head is spinning. Let me set the stage for you. I have a 1983 CJ7. It’s been retrofitted with a 5.0 v8 with a 4 barrel carb. It’s got a 4.11 differential and the axles tubes and diff housing have been gusseted. Best I can tell by measuring, it’s got a 4” suspension lift and 2” body lift. It does not have a SOA lift. Currently it’s got 15” wheels and old school Q78 gateway buckshot mudders. These are supposed to be 36” tires, but my best measurements show them to only be 34”.

The wheels are rusty and trashed out and I’m wanting to replace them with 17s. I want to go with a 35” tire at a minimum and maybe a 37” if it will work. I know at a minimum I should upgrade the diff to 4.56, and maybe even 4.88 with the 37s. With my lift, can I fit the 37s with no rubbing and no fender trimming? I do not want to cut any metal. I don’t wheel the jeep hard at all and it’s not a daily driver. I just use it here on the ranch. Terrain is flat to rolling, and it’s either dry and hard as a rock or wet sticky gumbo mud. I know this question has been asked a ton, I just want to make sure I get it right the first time. Thanks in advance for any help y’all can provide.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts