Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

New to the forum - looking to get my dad's old CJ running again for the farm.

10972 169
Hey there - new to the group, hopefully going to be getting my dad's old Jeep running and driving again in the next few months. I know nothing about Jeeps, but am an otherwise experienced mechanic. These photos are from 2009 and are the only ones I could find handy. It's been sitting in our barn since then and needs quite a bit of maintenance. From what I remember the brakes are dead and it needs a new fuel supply. (It has had a boat tank hooked up in the past)

I'll probably be investigating it this weekend to see if it'll crank and whether it needs any wiring help. Fingers crossed it's not locked after all this time. Any tips or tricks about what I have here would be more than welcome!

Attachments

Reactions: 1996679
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,211 Posts
I'm sure it's going to be a 100X better after you wash it.

I like the winch on the front. PTO?
Auxiliary heater is nice.
Aluminum hard top!!!

Do what these guys are telling you and you will have it up and running in no time.

My 65 had a seized piston so hard I had to chisel it out. Honed the cylinders and put in a new piston and all was fine.
These things are a cake to work on.

I second recommending earlycj5.com as a great place for information for those years.

·
Super Moderator
24,211 Posts
BTW, If you have the coil connected directly to the battery, you might have trouble shutting it off after it starts.
Someone may of done that just to try starting it some years ago.

I would have to check the schematic but it's likely you will also need a ballast resistor so you don't burn out your ignition coil.

and this would be more useful than the other one.

·
Super Moderator
24,211 Posts
If you have a trouble light, you could hook the light up to the wire to the points (-) on the ignition coil. When the light is on, the points are open, when the light is off, the points are closed.

Looks like the ballast resistor was only used on the V6 and not on the I4

Do you know if you have a 12 volt or 6 volt system?

·
Super Moderator
24,211 Posts
So I was looking into the omix springs like you suggested, and it looks like you can order either 5 or 9 spring versions. Is that something to do with the light vs heavy duty package? Because it seems either will work.

Just for reference, here's what I'm working with. [emoji23] View attachment 4018577

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Yes, you have to decide what you are going to put on the jeep.
I don't know what an aluminum top weighs. Probably less than another passenger.
I don't think you'll be adding a 3 point hitch to it either.

If it's just for fun and driving around a little, I'd go with the 5 spring pack.
Count the number of leaves on the spring pack now. Don't forget to count the broken ones.

I remember on my '65 I put 12 pack springs on it because I had a snow plow on it.
Nice ride when the plow was on it but without, it was a rough ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.