Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
If you are an experienced mechanic you will find that this Jeep is the easiest thing you've ever worked on. Very little changed from 55 to 65. The fact that it belonged to your dad makes it even more special. You could have a show Jeep or a blue highways traveler. Have fun!

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Anytime you can open the hood and look down and see the ground you know that you have a simple to work on Jeep. The dirt will wash off and the rusty body parts can be replaced or repaired. You can even replace the entire body with a new fiber glass one.

Please fill out your profile and give us a geographic location. One or more of us may live nearby and might know where you can find spare parts. Two weeks ago I went with another member to find parts and repairs for his son's 66.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
The Pertronix conversion is the easiest and least time consuming modification I've ever done to my Jeep. From the time the mail lady put the package in my hand until I drove it to lunch was less than 30 minutes. The cost from Summit racing was less than $100. I could have gotten it cheaper but Summit said they had it in stock could get it to me in two days and they did and even sent me an email when I could expect delivery.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Folks here will badmouth Crown and OMIX parts because they are made offshore and primarily China. Both companies' leaf springs are made in the USA. I recommend the OMIX because they are better made. I ordered the Crown front springs and one was damaged in shipping--a story in itself--and have had to repair one since installing. Basically the doohickeys that hold the springs together are prone to break. The OMIX springs are much better made. You have to order the bushings for them and install them. Go ahead and order front and back at the same time I didn't and have light weight fronts and heavy duty rears. When I had my trusted alignment shop rebuilding the front suspension they discovered a front spring was broken under the axle and wasn't apparent with a normal inspection. I have yet to install the rears and will order matching fronts before I do, but if one breaks I'm good to go. It also appears the rears were changed by a PO so it rides fairly level.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Our 74 was in the same shape. I rewired it using the Speedway Motors 12 circuit generic harness twice. The clutch return spring broke and took out some of the behind the dash wiring so it was easier to rewire everything. Did you ever do a project and later wish you had done it differently? I had that opportunity. Each kit cost me $150--now up to $200. The first time I ran dedicated grounds to everything electrical. The various lengths and rolls of different gauge black wire cost almost as much as the harness, but that was money well spent. If you aren't do it.

I too put the fuse block/box in the engine bay. It is dryer than under the dash. More importantly it is easy to get too without standing on your head with a flashlight trying to see if a fuse is blown. It sure came in handy the one time I blew a fuse.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
They probably won't leak much until they do and then you'll have differential oil everywhere including your brake shoes. Then you'll have an unsafe to drive vehicle. Why take a chance? You have it apart so fix/repair everything. We must remember that when you have a Jeep Murphy is alive and well, and shows up at the most inopportune time.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
My town has one of the biggest Fourth-of-July celebrations for miles around. They pretty much let anybody ride anything they want in the parade, so I'm seriously thinking about shining and buffing the paint as well as I can and taking it. My four year old would love it. lol
Down here in Hinkle land there is no shortage of Jeeps. This past fall we had a Jeep Explosion and drew over 400 Jeeps of all types and vintages. (19) Pickens SC Jeep Explosion - Sept 25, 2021 | Jeep Enthusiast Forums (jeepforum.com) During warmer months we have family-oriented Jeep gatherings each month. I usually take ours to the quarter car wash and wash the pollen and dirt off, and maybe vacuum the leaves out of the floors. On the same day we have our monthly Jeep Club Cruise In we have Cars and Coffee so I usually show up for that too--one cleanup for two events. I've found that most folks appreciate Jeeps, cars, and trucks in the "raw" as much as they do the immaculate ones. A four-year-old will always think that Dad's/Granddad's old Jeep is the best-looking ride in any parade.

Have fun! I suspect now that you have it running it will be a different ride come July.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Nice and I'm thinking about it. I only need two balls. My only hold up is I wear a gold class ring on my right hand and have for 50 years. I used to keep the OEM knob painted but kept scratching it off with the ring.

I was considering making some out of pool balls--color coordinated with the Jeep if i ever decide what the future color will be. I have source for the balls and a plan to thread them but no way to do the engraving. Can you work with any other medium?

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Just curious, but I'm guessing you were going to use the 5/16-24 instead of the 1/4-20? The T90 and Dana 18 should both have 5/16-24 threads on the shifter unless you have something else.

It's super hard to drill a ball in the dead center unless you have at least a drill press and a vise of some sort. It's made of resin and plastic though, I imagine it would drill and tap rather nicely.
To be honest with you I don't know what thread sizes I'll need. I have a T14 and a D300. I'd ask but knowing this Jeep like I do it would be a different size than anyone else's. Before committing I'd double check with a nut. The problem I foresee is how to get the old knobs off. There is no retaining nut. I can't break it loose by hand or with a strap wrench. My friend's son used a pipe wrench to grip the ball and a second to hold the shifter below the threads and broke his off at the thread line. How did you get yours off?

You and Hoss seem to think that the ball is substantial enough to thread. Hoss usually is dead on in his advice unless he has had more than one Dog beer.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I'd like to make a suggestion about the pool balls. Move the drill point 90* and drill into the white. Doing it that way you would engrave also in the white and the number wouldn't be obscured and would be visible in all gears. I'm going to the pool room for lunch tomorrow and see what balls they have available.

You may just need to clean out the vent hole. Tip cleaners for a torch may do the trip. The pressure is going to follow the path of least resistance which may be the seal. Do you have any idea how much gear oil is leaking out?

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Back to the pool ball shifter knobs--I found by talking to the owner of the pool room that he pays more for one or two balls than an entire home use set costs. Found that you can buy a set for according to Google from $19.99 up. He said he would like to see what the final product looks like when I order from you. My conflict is still what am color(s) I am going to use when I paint it after I get the new FG tub this coming summer. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts