Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there - new to the group, hopefully going to be getting my dad's old Jeep running and driving again in the next few months. I know nothing about Jeeps, but am an otherwise experienced mechanic. These photos are from 2009 and are the only ones I could find handy. It's been sitting in our barn since then and needs quite a bit of maintenance. From what I remember the brakes are dead and it needs a new fuel supply. (It has had a boat tank hooked up in the past)

I'll probably be investigating it this weekend to see if it'll crank and whether it needs any wiring help. Fingers crossed it's not locked after all this time. Any tips or tricks about what I have here would be more than welcome!

Attachments

Reactions: 1996679

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,008 Posts
Assuming the 4cyl F-Head in that early CJ-5, new points and a good carb clean and it should fire right up and run. Even better if you have a V-6 though. As for brakes, Walck's has everything you will need for the brake system. Not that you won't get good info here, but you may also want to join http://earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.php as they are specific to the early short fendered CJ-5's. Good luck with your project, they are fun simple rides.

https://walcks4wd.com/Brake-System_c_1328.html

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Nice looking farm rig, even at 2009 photos.
Does look like you have some fun ahead of you, and sure you will enjoy working on your Dads Jeep, as many others on JF have done!
Try to get current photos with details of engine, drive-train, year, model, etc, and sure you will get the best help "free" can provide!
Post often as you go through the process of getting it running again.
Welcome to JF :)

Reactions: Chowlie

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, it's the 4 cylinder. Thanks for the tips!

And I'll get some updated photos soon - hopefully tonight.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just took from fresh pictures. Definitely must more dusty now. I'm really having a hard time decoding the VIN as well. I get the "Open Body Universal CJ-5" part but not the last six digits. I can't find any table that corresponds with it.

Attachments

Reactions: Girth83

·
Registered
168 Posts
Oof, and I thought I had a project. Cool that it has family history though. I'm kinda hoping the kids take an interest in our Heep, and it becomes a family thing. Nobody else in my family is ridiculously sentimental about vehicles like I am. Hoping I pass that trait on. :laugh:

Looks like some small furry friends left some presents for you on top of the radiator cowl. That's to be expected I guess, after sitting for so long. Might be worth borescoping the manifolds/cylinders, see what's in there. Darn vermin. :(

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oof, and I thought I had a project. Cool that it has family history though. I'm kinda hoping the kids take an interest in our Heep, and it becomes a family thing. Nobody else in my family is ridiculously sentimental about vehicles like I am. Hoping I pass that trait on. :laugh:

Looks like some small furry friends left some presents for you on top of the radiator cowl. That's to be expected I guess, after sitting for so long. Might be worth borescoping the manifolds/cylinders, see what's in there. Darn vermin. :(
Ha, yes - history indeed. My dad flipped this thing over sometime in the 70's and had a pretty close call from what I heard. lol I think the license plate was last renewed in 1988.

Clearly it's not a feasible full resto, at least not IMO. If I can get it running smooth and driving around the farm I'll be happy with it.

By the way, I did find another serial number table, and I think this may have been manufactured in 1965.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ha, yes - history indeed. My dad flipped this thing over sometime in the 70's and had a pretty close call from what I heard. lol I think the license plate was last renewed in 1988.

Clearly it's not a feasible full resto, at least not IMO. If I can get it running smooth and driving around the farm I'll be happy with it.

By the way, I did find another serial number table, and I think this may have been manufactured in 1965.
I was gonna say, screws in the VIN plate? No idea if that's how it was done then, but not normal in later years. Tub swapped, or repainted after it was flipped?

Anything is restorable, with enough money and motivation. :laugh: My wife has grand ideas of driving our CJ5 around (once I get "done" working on it), but she's only ever had a YJ, then a TJ. Never driven anything with non-power brakes and steering. I told her it's basically a glorified tractor...... but I think she's gonna have to experience it herself. :eek::rofl:

If you get it cleaned out, and get pics of all it's bits and pieces, folks here can tell you what it's built from. That might get interesting, since it apparently may have had some major surgery one point in it's life. Looks like a fun project through.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sitting that long I'd be worried about stuck rings and possibly scoring the cylinder walls when you try to crank it over since it will be bone dry and the pistons sitting in one spot for so long. Mix a little diesel and oil in an oil squirt bottle and remove all the plugs. Spray a squirt or two (not alot) down each spark plug hole and let it sit over a few nights. Leave the plugs out and turn it by hand until it's rotating smoothly. Wouldn't hurt to run the oil pump manually before too (after putting new oil in it of course :smile2:)

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,008 Posts
Just took from fresh pictures. Definitely must more dusty now. I'm really having a hard time decoding the VIN as well. I get the "Open Body Universal CJ-5" part but not the last six digits. I can't find any table that corresponds with it.
8305 gives you the cj5 model, the last 6 is the sequential serial number. You can verify the year from that number from the link below. Serial number shows as 1965. And yes, the vin plate was attached to the firewall with regular screws in that year range.

https://jeepwillysworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Vehicle_Indentification.pdf

·
Super Moderator
23,556 Posts
I'm sure it's going to be a 100X better after you wash it.

I like the winch on the front. PTO?
Auxiliary heater is nice.
Aluminum hard top!!!

Do what these guys are telling you and you will have it up and running in no time.

My 65 had a seized piston so hard I had to chisel it out. Honed the cylinders and put in a new piston and all was fine.
These things are a cake to work on.

I second recommending earlycj5.com as a great place for information for those years.

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
I think you have a solid Jeep and (barring any surprises) should have it running in no time.

Remember:
Insure the brakes are working.
Check ALL the fluid levels
Take a moment and lube/inspect the steering bellcrank and drag link.
File/clean the points and reset.

Early CJ's are retardedly simple, which means you can fix just about anything yourself with basic tools.

Be sure to fill out your profile and continue to update it. This helps us answer your questions.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
8305 gives you the cj5 model, the last 6 is the sequential serial number. You can verify the year from that number from the link below. Serial number shows as 1965. And yes, the vin plate was attached to the firewall with regular screws in that year range.
Thanks for that - seems to confirm April of 1965.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
If you are an experienced mechanic you will find that this Jeep is the easiest thing you've ever worked on. Very little changed from 55 to 65. The fact that it belonged to your dad makes it even more special. You could have a show Jeep or a blue highways traveler. Have fun!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are an experienced mechanic you will find that this Jeep is the easiest thing you've ever worked on. Very little changed from 55 to 65. The fact that it belonged to your dad makes it even more special. You could have a show Jeep or a blue highways traveler. Have fun!
That's good to know! So far I'm mainly annoyed at all the dirt and rust, but hopefully the ease of maintenance will make up for it. Haha

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Anytime you can open the hood and look down and see the ground you know that you have a simple to work on Jeep. The dirt will wash off and the rusty body parts can be replaced or repaired. You can even replace the entire body with a new fiber glass one.

Please fill out your profile and give us a geographic location. One or more of us may live nearby and might know where you can find spare parts. Two weeks ago I went with another member to find parts and repairs for his son's 66.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anytime you can open the hood and look down and see the ground you know that you have a simple to work on Jeep. The dirt will wash off and the rusty body parts can be replaced or repaired. You can even replace the entire body with a new fiber glass one.

Please fill out your profile and give us a geographic location. One or more of us may live nearby and might know where you can find spare parts. Two weeks ago I went with another member to find parts and repairs for his son's 66.
Ok, I think I got the profile and garage thing straightened out. :wink2:

Made baby step progress today as I had several things to accomplish, but I did clean out the rear and poured a shot of ATF down each cylinder. I'll give it a few days and try to turn it over by hand before I try to start it. Still need to get gas to it somehow though.

And sadly we hauled off the remains of our 2004 Forester today after I spent the last two years parting it out. Someone ran a red light and T-boned my wife with our infant son in the car, but fortunately everyone was ok. I had only changed the timing belt about 2,000 miles prior, so we found another Forester with a bad engine and transplanted it.

Attachments

Reactions: bob4703

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Cudos to Subaru safety. Glad to hear everyone was ok!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
That one looks to be in better shape than mine was (also a "farm" rig). I wound up doing a frame-off when I originally was thinking "just a few rusty bits to patch."

Just do us one favor ... promise you will not ever try to hang any kind of "implement" off the tailgate!!

Good luck and have fun with your project!

1 - 20 of 170 Posts