Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up an 84 j10 Laredo for $1400. She needs a lot of TLC. I cleaned 2 big trash cans of **** out of her once we got home. Now to get her in the shop and start the comeback for her.
I am going to need some guidance on where to find some parts for her and what I am looking at that need to be done.

With a 360 v8 and auto trans she should be a good riding/running truck. she has sat for about 8 to 10 years is what I have been told. At least she does not have any body rot that I have found yet. Not sure about the engine. got some tinking on it before I even try to turn it over. Thinking I will change the oil before even tryiing to roll it over. No water in the radiator and the dipstick has been pulled. So I am going to go slow here to make sure everything is right.
Suggestions will be helpfull
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Grille
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering wheel Yellow
Motor vehicle Wood Pollution Twig Gas

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

· Registered
1,724 Posts
Nice way to start the year :)

One thing I would suggest (I dealt with starting issues on my rescued '84 GW since late April last year), is change the spark plug wires. Full set!

Just realized this week my coil & plug wires, that were on the truck when brought home and still using, was intermittently grounding out.

Chased the starting issue for months until I got zapped, and realized this could have been the trouble all along :(

Time and money out for a $30 set of new wires......ugh!

Reactions: Submariner

· Premium Member
2011 Jeep JKU
11,988 Posts
That's a peach, Sub! Looking forward to following along.

I like the gladiator grill conversion, very retro looking.

And don't toss those stock wheels, they are fairly sought after in the GC world!

Hoss

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started cleaning her out. got the passenger door open and 2 trash can full later she is empty of trash. pulled the ole carpet out in peices and was glad to see NO rust inside the cab. but there are going to be a lot of dismantel and then clean and reinstall a lot of pieces due to being non-operatable. this was a laredo and has a lot of bells and whistles that I am going to try to make work again I hope. The copper color is growing on me. Now to get it in the shop and see how the engine is and go from there.

· Registered
70 Posts
My son owns one that I bought for him😀 Bought a nice Wagoneer for him too, and his grandma dumped several Gs in it. Then he sold it😑 He also owns a golden eagle edition. Both are short beds 4x4. I bought one one time and flipped it, like sold it quick for profit. I kinda want the one that he has now that I gave him 🤔

· Premium Member
9,675 Posts
I have a 1980 J20 that was drug home.

They are very rewarding rigs to work on as so much was made of heavy steel.

Fuel system - the plastic fuel tanks crack, I welded mine back together with a soldering iron, reinforced the welds with bits of plastic and then applied a sealant for plastic tanks. Easy to get on and off to clean out and well worth doing, the 1980 tanks are unobtainium. The lines were clogged, and when unclogged the rubber hoses leaked. An electric pump was changed out for a mechanical one. Apart from the tank, all parts easy to get or make.

Brakes - mine has the larger Lockheed discs on the front. They were fairly easy to rebuild, just big parts. The master cylinder was replaced, the lines at the front and the combination valve replaced, all cheap stuff. But at least it stops now.

Electrics - what a PITA. Had to find an electrician to unravel the mysteries. Still got no fuel gauge. Got switches and period stuff from BJ's Offroad.

Engine - good condition but carb had been swapped. Took some time to get to run right.

Drivetrain - I knew the front axle was disconnected. Turned out it was just missing a propshaft,. rear pinion was chipped. The Dana 44 / dana 60 combo was easy to get parts for.

Body - bare metal respray, a few minor holes. the windshield farme had rot due to trim screws which had been holding the aluminium surround on. tailgate had to be sourced and bumper made.

Interior - I had mine retrimmed, did it myself in places. The dash pad can be covered with synthetic auto leather, you just need a bit of hot air and patience to stretch it. You can buy headliner panels and carpets but the door panels need to be custom made as the ones which are available are tragic.

Mine

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Grille

Good luck with it

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it is in the shop and on jack stand and the wheels are off, going to go thur the wheel bearings and brakes before I get her ready to start.
I need some help here:
I got I guess a coil but it is not one that I have seen before, anyone have an idea what it is?
Should I change this carb out for another 2 barrel or can I rebuild it?
do I have a cruise contorl sender?
I took a picture of my front axle and I think it has a 3.31 gear ratio or did I read it wrong.
and the PO broke off the oil dipstick and tried to JB weld it bak in place. I suggestion would be helpfull here, I got JB welld on the block ariound the hole for the dipstick. How would you suggest I fix it. I am thinking of removing the inner fender to get to it to make repairs. for it. IDEAS?
Wood Automotive tire Grey Door Artifact
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Wood
Font Handwriting Gas Motor vehicle Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Engineering Nut
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Wood

· Premium Member
9,675 Posts
The carb looks fine, just needs a rebuild kit, 2 cans of carb cleaner and a few hours of your time. Do it in a large bowl or tub, lots of little parts to lose.

The dipstick tubes were pressed in. To get one out will require gripping it for a pull, a bit dicey as they are thin walled. One trick is to get a drill bit that is the same as the inner diameter, you can then get a grip on the outside without crushing it by inserting the back end into the tube. i would put some tape or JB Weld around the sharp end of the drill bit such that you cannot drop it into the sump!!!!

Alternatively get an EzzyOut of the right diameter and screw it.

Kits are available for the tube and dipper but they are a tad pricey, $75.

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The carb looks fine, just needs a rebuild kit, 2 cans of carb cleaner and a few hours of your time. Do it in a large bowl or tub, lots of little parts to lose.

The dipstick tubes were pressed in. To get one out will require gripping it for a pull, a bit dicey as they are thin walled. One trick is to get a drill bit that is the same as the inner diameter, you can then get a grip on the outside without crushing it by inserting the back end into the tube. i would put some tape or JB Weld around the sharp end of the drill bit such that you cannot drop it into the sump!!!!

Alternatively get an EzzyOut of the right diameter and screw it.

Kits are available for the tube and dipper but they are a tad pricey, $75.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a question about all the stuff on top of the intake manifold that needs to be removed because I am getting rid of the smog equipment. What is the piece directly behind the carb?
Automotive tire Wood Terrestrial plant Motor vehicle Mushroom
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive wheel system
Wood Automotive wheel system Auto part Motor vehicle Metal

I know that the one on the left side is the heater control valve adn it is vacummed operated(i htink) the one in the middle I thoughty was the egr valve but that I am not sure of. The one on the left of the carb was a heated element but that is gone now and the holes welded shut. Some help here would be apprecated.

· Registered
1,724 Posts
Yep....rusty brown spaceship looking thing is EGR

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the help, I got a lot to figure out on this rig. she has sat so long that everything is corroded just enough that it is stuck in place. the starter was NOT working to the point I htoiught the solenoid was going to fry. took it out, pulled the end piece off rotated 90 degrees. not she spins like a brand new one.
There are somethings that are broke but on the most part, just take em apart put it back together and run it.

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have started a build page for this. going to post a lot of pictures and put in some trials and tribulations that I will find along the way.

84 J10 Build ; from black berries to highway, her name is Copper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts