Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

New Steering Stabilizer Suggestions

2199 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  wilson1010
I got the dreaded death wobble and along with other things, I need to replace my steering stabilizer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to buy and where is the best place to buy it from? I'm on a bit of a budget but don't want to waste my time buying another cheap one that's gonna go out on me.

Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Retired Staff
2004 Jeep Wrangler
76,767 Posts
Fix the true cause of the DW first, THEN install a new steering stabilizer like Biffgnar suggested.

A bad steering stabilizer is NEVER the cause of DW... not once, not ever. A new steering stabilizer can sometimes temporarily mask/suppress the symptoms of DW causing some to think it was the cure but it just temporarily suppressed the symptoms caused by some other problem which is the true root cause of DW.

Imperfect tire balance is a common trigger for DW. The one time I experienced true fully developed crap-in-my-pants DW was on my near-new previous TJ after it threw a wheel balance weight. Even if you recently had your tires balanced, I'd have them rebalanced and tell the guy doing the balance job that he needs to either spend more time until he gets them balanced perfectly, or tell you that he couldn't get them perfect due to a tire or wheel problem.

You may also have something loose/worn in your front suspension or steering system that is making it easier for DW to develop. Perform a 'dry steering test' on your TJ to see if you can spot something that is moving that shouldn't be. With the tires on the ground, have a helper turn the steering wheel repeatedly back & forth while you examine the front-end for excessive slop somewhere or something moving sideways that shouldn't be. Especially look at the mounts for the track bar, there should be no significant side-to-side movement there as the steering is turned left/right by your helper.

· Think Outside the Catalog
10,621 Posts
I haven't use a stabilizer in 12-15 years. My opinion is they only get paid to mask other issues, like you are seeing. If your living room ceiling fan makes noise, getting ear plugs is not the answer.

· Registered
2,707 Posts
I got the dreaded death wobble and along with other things, I need to replace my steering stabilizer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to buy and where is the best place to buy it from? I'm on a bit of a budget but don't want to waste my time buying another cheap one that's gonna go out on me.

Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated!
Let me give you a tip. DW is an elusive zombie. I have seen guys throw $1000 of parts at it and not solve it. I have seen a wheel balancing, a new set of tires, or an alignment make it disappear instantly.
I have seen 4x4 shops with a good rep take in a DW rig repeatedly and never solve it.

If your DW goes away with a steering stabilizer, good for you. Whether it is a symptom or a cause means absolutely nothing if it fixes the problem, even if the stabilizer is destroyed in 6 months. And, for a DIY project that costs $50 (get a heavy duty one, they are much more likely to mask DW) and takes 15 minutes, why not.

When the part(s) that are really causing DW get bad enough to show themselves you can fix them then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.