1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Price $1
Rating 3
Recommended yes

Comments: It's been a goodcase for 133K but the VC depends on religiously rotating tires to assure all are the same diameter and wear. At 46+K miles on my tires the VC would lock up and hop. This corrected itself when the tires were replaced

·
Registered
34 Posts
Price $250
Rating 4
Cons the VC is expensive
Recommended yes

Comments: It's a exelent transfer, on-road in heavy rain (in Venezuela is no snow), off-road in mild trails... but not for very difucult trails (and here, in Venezuela, are a lot!). For the casual off-roader is more than enough, and works fine with my YJ and A904. Needs rotate the tires twice a year and check the tire pressure every week (all tire MUST have the same diameter always)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Rating 5
Recommended yes

Comments: stock transfer case, v/c starting to take a dump, will upgrade to NP242 when i get extra cash

·
Registered
282 Posts
Rating 2
Recommended no

Comments: Its ok for a stock TC. Would like to have the ability of 2wd. Looking for a NP242 to swap in.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Price $0.1
Pros nothing
Cons everything
Recommended no

Comments: i hate that it dosent have a two wheel drive option and that the power isnt equaly distributed to the tires

·
Registered
4 Posts
Price $1
Pros Stock, no problems so far
Cons Does not allow for the 2-wheel drive like the 242's
Not a biggie
Recommended no

Comments: It came stock and I won't argue. Will most likely replace it down the road.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Price $1
Pros Seldom need to change settings.
Cons Viscous Coupling is an engineered failure. Should have got an NP242
Recommended no

Comments: The TC is fine as long as it's not going bad, but signs of failure include a hopping while turning, to the point of dragging an axle when turning into a parking space.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Price $200
Pros "Stock"
Cons Viscus coupling sucks. Wrong input shaft. Broken snap ring made it impossible to rebuild.
Recommended no

Comments: The 249 has a viscus coupling that will eventually, inevitably fail. There are 3 different input shaft lengths, and while the pre '96 are easy to rebuild, the newer ones are a major PITA. Go with a 242 or a 231 instead.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Price $500
Pros good on all road surfaces
Cons have to have matching tires. viscous coupler cost about 323.00 to replace
Recommended yes

Comments: if you like full-time four wheel then 249 is for you. if your look for burn out then 242 or 231 is for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Price $500
Rating 3
Pros Doesn't require dynamometer smog test due to inability to disable AWD (idle & 2500rpm in neutral only) and on my '94, no evap test, either. This means it is easier to pass smog test.
Cons Viscous coupling failure.
Recommended yes

Comments: In California (Los Angeles County, at least), there are smog test advantages to having AWD.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Price $0.1
Pros works great.... when it works!
Cons vc died a couple mo. after buying it.
Recommended no

Comments: the t-case is great when it works, but not as great as a 242 or 231. It worked great for about 2 months, until the vc died and took out my front end. (70 on the freeway + dying vc + wet snow = ground up front driveshaft (ring gear/pinion)) been driving around in 2wd for almost 2 mo. now, waiting to find a good deal on a 242, if givin the choice I recommend you trade to a 242, otherwise it's not a bad t-case, it's tuff seeing all the things i've put it through.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Price $350
Pros Works well. Put a used one in the ZJ I bought.
Cons Viscous coupling inside prone to wear especially when turning tight. When it does wear it slips and binds and makes tight turns very hard with the front wheels skipping and squealing.
Recommended yes

Comments: The ZJ that I bought had a worn transfer case under the hood. The viscous was shot and needed to be replaced. Cheaper to replace the whole assembly rather than the part its self. They are prone to wear over time. Very common that they fail in the ZJ's

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.