81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Price $100
Pros solid front/rear lock in 4hi/4lo. good reduction
Cons slip yoke... not full time
Recommended yes

Comments: great t-case, never gave me an issue. although not full time (annoying when turning onto a busy street and the inside tire spins.) it still works well. great gear reduction in 4lo. i can be in first with 3.55 gears at 4000 rpm and still only be about 8-10 mph

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Price $1
Pros Stock - easy to find SYE parts - ubiquitous - reliable
Cons lacking in low low crawl ratio - needs Novak cable for belly-up
Recommended yes

Comments: She's a stocker! Good aftermarket support in the SYE dept.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Price $300
Pros Stock- easy to find parts
Cons Stock- buy alot of parts
Recommended no

Comments: It serves the purpose. I will do an upgrade soon. I have broke the input shaft and it was replaced with another stock one, before i looked at doing a SYE kit. I think a SYE (slip yoke eliminator kit) would be a huge upgrade if you want to continue using this tcase,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Price $1
Pros Decent all around ratio for most Jeepers. Can be upgraded to work with up to mild V8 in most situations
Cons No highest crawl ratio producer or comparable to aftermarkets like an Atlas but its also stock equipment... what do you expect?
Recommended no

Comments: I have had zero issues with my NP231 and I have zero upgrades on it. Fairly tough even with my 33" AT's and liberal skinny pedal hill climbs. I have chosen to keep my NP231 and upgrade it to match up with a Chrysler V6 in order to stay light over a Chevy 350 SB and heavier TC. Its just a choice as I will probably sink enough cash into it to get a Dana 300 or whatever in the end.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Price $100
Pros Selectable 2wd, 4wd Hi & Lo, Great aftermarket support.
Cons No all-time 4WD
Recommended yes

Comments: Switched from a 249 to a 231 and love the two wheel drive availability but dislike the loss of all-time 4WD. 242 offers that but loses a great deal of strength and aftermarket support...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Price $100
Pros Smaller tcase than the 249 I had and completely locks rather than having a viscous coupler act like a lsd in the middle.
Cons None for me.
Recommended yes

Comments: Pulled it from the junkyard, took it apart, replaced the seals and swapped the input shaft from my old 249 into it and bolted up just fine.
Very happy with this. I noticed a big difference offroad with it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Price $75
Pros No part time junk. More of a aftermarket selection
Cons Went from a 242 to the 231 and my gates in the 4wd shifter are different and the 4wd light doesn't work anymore :(
Recommended yes

Comments: I think the 231 j is a excellent choice for a stock replacement the after upgrade selection is wider than the 242. The 242 gave me a bunch of problems and only had a 150,000 miles. Part time wouldn't work constant growling wouldn't fully disengage. Since the 231 the ol jeeps been flawless. GOTTA LOVE THE Xj

·
Registered
34 Posts
Price $1
Pros Don't know was on the vehicle when I bought it
Cons Still Don't Know
Recommended no

Comments: n/a because I haven't figured out what this is for and why I have to fill it out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Price $1000
Pros Reliability, easy to find parts.
Cons Could go for a stronger box for rock crawling or heavy tires.
Recommended yes

Comments: Reliability, easy to find parts.
Could go for a stronger box for rock crawling or heavy tires.

Install the Slip yoke eliminator kit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Price $1100
Pros NP231HD
Cons N/A
Recommended yes

Comments: Purchased from another forum member and pleased with shipment and rebuilt product.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.