Registered
2 Posts
Price $100
Pros 2WD
Cons Nothing
Recommended no

Comments: An easy and cheap upgrade.
I like riding in 2wd
I donno if it's better than the NP231 but you still have the option of the 4WD Full time that the 231 don't have.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Price $150
Pros 2wd option is great. Definitely better than the original 249 I pulled out.
Cons D30 is not open diff, so I haven't noticed a vast improvement on gas mileage.
Recommended yes

Comments: The viscous coupler had gone out (no surprise at 166k miles) and the chain had stretched out, so I decided to just swap in a "new" 242 case out of an XJ. I swapped the input shafts and put new seals in it and it's been working well for me since. I think I need to install a t-case drop kit though, since i noticed my rear drive shaft sits a little shorter in the cone than before. This is causing a little bit of hopping on dry pavement in 4wd, but it's no big deal because I mostly just run in 2wd. I have to get new tires again now too, since the old t-case chewed up the front passenger tire really bad and now it's bald.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Price $75
Pros full selection of 4WD option, low low lock
Cons sensor connector located on back of transfer case
Recommended yes

Comments: Replaced original NV249 with NP242 from a 1992 Cherokee Limited. Works well off and on road

·
Registered
16 Posts
Price $200
Pros 6 gear planetaries.
Thicker chain

Its a NP242AMG from a military spec H1 with the 2WD option shift plate from a NP242HD
Cons It does make a bit of sound.
Recommended yes

Comments: I don't worry about it breaking!

·
-N7PBJ
1,375 Posts
Price $50
Pros Direct replacement for original.
Cons See above.
Recommended yes

Comments: 242 started skipping under load, upon investigation discovered a factory plug missing, allowing water & mud to enter.

Everything worn, JY replacement. Re-did hack-n-tap.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.