Recommended Yes: 25 / No: 2

2WD, 4HI, 4-F.T., N, 4LO

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Price $60
Rating 5
Recommended yes

Comments: bought it from the junkyard on half of day for $60! have yet to install it on my zj but am hoping to someday. i want to get new seals for i first and then paint it and make it look great

·
Registered
129 Posts
Rating 3
Recommended yes

Comments: Stock on the car. Seems to be working good, hard to shift though. I am hoping to not having to do anything with it maintenance wise.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Price $400
Pros Full-time 4X4
Cons Sometimes doesn't like to come out of 4X4
Recommended yes

Comments: If the case would always shift out of 4X4 into 2WD without binding I would consider this transfer case to be excellent.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Price $100
Pros i love the options, 2wd, part time 4, full time 4, and 4 low.
the part time 4 works wonderfully! never would even know till it grabs!
Cons kind of conflicting to my last statement BUT...
my display has an option to light up for part time 4, but doesn't, might just be that i missed something.. but thats all...
Recommended yes

Comments: The new process gear 242 transfer case (select trac) is my favorite of the 3 of my options BY FAR! I love the options that it offers, and the durability FAR surpasses the 249, the 231 is also a great transfer case but it doesn't have as many options.
the downsides to the NP242.. there aren't many but... :
the gear shifting is tight, and you MUST reverse about a foot sometimes to ensure that your selection has taken effect. also when in "part time 4" it tends to vibrate, not all the time, but none the less...
otherwise, perfect!!! definitely an upgrade from the stock NP249...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Price $200
Pros Can have 2WD
Cons Cannot completely disengage front end....it is always moving
Recommended yes

Comments: I love having all power put to the rear wheels.....except when the front end goes out (TOTALLY from my tweaking) in the winter with a locker in the rear.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Price $50
Pros selectable 4wd shift
Cons none, i love it
Recommended yes

Comments: swapped out my 247 for the 242, best mod ive ever done.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Price $200
Pros multiple mode
Cons my second one is acting up
Recommended yes

Comments: After tough use on hard trails my first one started jumping out of low range. Now my second one has developed a clunk in low range. The clunk happens when you start up a hill then again as you start down the other side letting the engine slow you down.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Price $100
Pros 2WD option versus on a NP249
Cons Full Time option not as good as a NP249, Especially in the snow but will work.
Recommended yes

Comments: Did a 242 swap from my 249 with worn out viscous coupler. Cheaper going this route versus $400 plus from a new VC only for that to have go out again in another 100k miles. I plan on keeping the ZJ forever so I don't want to address this again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.