Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I am new in Michigan area, I am originally coming from the north of Mexico, Juarez City, where I was always an active off-road enthusiastic. Currently I am the owner of 1997 TJ, upgraded in its suspension, I also have a JK 2012 Wrangler Sport (Stock), this is the one that right now is giving me problem with the power steering pump. Now that I haven't got a diagnostic yet, I am thinking that may be I should to replace it, but wanted to check with you people around, what would be a good place to go, and your opinion about which pump to buy; would be a good idea replacing it for a different brand than the maker (Mopar)?

I appreciate and thank in advance your recommendations.

Thank you.

Eva Isabel. ;)

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
I would look into joining a club in that area. will be the best way to learn what trails where and have people to do it with.

pump you are stuck with stock, its not that good. The after market has better but plumbing it means about getting rid of the air box or going through it. both not great. most of the pumps that fail tend to be from over heating the pump. Most these are off road use with larger tires. the larger the rocks and tires this issue jumps up real fast. main issue is the steering box cant push more then 35s and even they can make it so the steering wont steer in Hard trails. people force it to try and turn this makes the pump get hot and the oil tends to over flow, vomit out. then start whine.

the steering box is kinda junk as well. if that goes ever i would never get stock new or rebuilt. for not much more then a new fiat one. you can buy a bolt in psc big bore box. it is huge compared to stock. now way you can break that sector shaft and its a quality unit.. can be made with ports for hydro. but a big bore on a stock pump will turn 37 well enough for most.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.