Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We started on the cage today. Hopefully we can finish it up in the next few days, I will continue to post up pictures as we progress. Today we replaced the rear crossmember with 2 x 4 rectangular tubing. Also we added on a 2 inch recevier hitch aswell. Tomarrow we are putting in a long night so there should be some real progress in the next day or so.

Ready to get started:

new rear crossmember

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
That rear crossmember is saweet.

I picked up some 2x6x.250 for my rear bumper/crossmember and am trying to think of a way to attach it "STRONGLY" to my stock rear bumper thing.. I got some 5/8" Bolts and am bracing it.. but after seeing yours I think I may hack off the stock one and weld it up and brace it to hell like yours!

Nice work!!

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BamaJeeper said:
Are you gonna attach the cage to the frame?
Will the seats be attached to the cage?
Of course the cage will connect to the frame. It will tie in at 8 locations. 4 of those will be direct mounts to the frame. The other 4 mounts are for the front section and will be tied into the frame as well ousing foot plates and a plate under neath sandwiching the body like most frame tie in kits use.

As for the seats they are staying connected to the body for now but that will change in a month or so. I just need to get the major construction on the cage done so it is out of my friends hair.

Hopefully i will have some progress pics tonight.

I am heading out the door to go work on it now.

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ctavel said:
Wow-- The prijoect looks great. Are you building it to be a rock rig?
(i jumped in on the project late, so if this has already been said forgive me)
It was already a "rock rig" I just rolled it end over end and trashed the cage and twisted the rear portion of the body in the process. Over the years the body has taken a serious beating and it was time to ditch some of it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Now that looks wicked what size tubing did you use.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The_One said:
Now that looks wicked what size tubing did you use.
if you are talking about the rear cross member it is 2x4 inch rectangle tubing 3/16 thick. If you are talking about the picture of the FJ 40 that cage was done using 2 inch dom tubing. Mine will be made out of the same size as the FJ40

Tim

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
lookin good, are you going to slope down a lot in the rear or keep it close to what a stock cage shape would be?

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Quan said:
lookin good, are you going to slope down a lot in the rear or keep it close to what a stock cage shape would be?
as of right now this is how it will look.

who knows though, things change once we lay them out and see what they look like. Hopefully we will do that part tonight and I can post up some pics to give you an idea.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
93YJ said:
Looks good Tim! We testin' it out on the 28th?

Jay
damn strait, we got it finished up tonight.

All i have left is to throw some paint on it tomarrow and make the rear panel so i can put in my brake lights. I will take some more pic tomarrow in the day light. Pictures really don't do this justice. Jason @ JK customs can lay out a great looking cage.

The best part is this thing is as strong as it is cool looking.

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
Are you planning ot re-skin the body back on with easily replaceable panels, or are you going to leave it looking like a jungle-gym?

Awesome work so far!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! I'm lovin it man. You gonna run round or oval LED's? I say oval :thumbsup:

considered using diamond plating for skin or are you gonna do like naekid said and reuse your old body.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quan said:
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! I'm lovin it man. You gonna run round or oval LED's? I say oval :thumbsup:

considered using diamond plating for skin or are you gonna do like naekid said and reuse your old body.
I am going to run my round led's since that is what i have laying around.

I started making a real panel to house the tail lights tonight out of aluminum. I will probably make some wrap around panels out of thin steel, aluminum, or lexan and hope it looks as good as this.

I have a friend that does sheet metal work so I might see if he can help me out with it. But i am in no rush and I really like the visability I gained from having the rear open like this.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Very nice man, now lets get some pics of it wheelin =)
(try not to get the cage to dirty haha)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.