Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TL;DR, I bought an 08 Liberty KK from the dealership about 6 months ago. The original owner had a remote start system tied into it, and when he sold it, decided to just snip the wires and remove it unprofessionally. For the first few months, everything was fine, but then progressively over the months, "possessed jeep syndrome" sets in and the horn goes on raging, front and rear windshield wipers go on, and the windshield fluid decides to start ejecting.

I've read around, i've done quite a bit of research, and everyone says its either the TIPM or the Clockspring...
Long story short, i'm replacing both of them this weekend, but at the same time, while I was pulling apart the steering column,
I've identified that the wiring harness which runs from the clips near the firewall, all the way tied into the steering column, and part of it continuing on back behind the radio....

I'm trying to figure out exactly what wires are stock configured and which wires were "reconfigured" for the erroneously installed remote starter.
As you will be able to see with the attached pictures, a lot of the wires are covered in non-factory electrical tape.
Theres some other areas which look like theyve been wrapped with heat-bond insulation tape.... which im also unsure if its factory.

So, fellow jeepers...

A) Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the wires that go thru / should be in this area? if i could get a diagram of how the clockspring is wired, and the color configuration of these wires, I might be able to figure out what is factory and what is not.

B) Attached to the ignition control module (im not sure if this even is an ignition thing? i just know it plugs into the clockspring...), there is a purple/gray wire which goes from the connection plug into the wiring harness... then on the wiring harness, there seems to be a wire which was bonded onto this wire, to create a y pigtail...
Part of the previous remote start system was attached went to this wire.... but I'm thinking it was seriously modified by the installer.

C) From these attached pictures... Does anyone see anything that IS DEFINATELY not from the factory?

Can anyone help me figure this out?
The car is not running now and im literally throwing everything I have at it.... she only has 65k miles :(

· My Reality Check Bounced
20,063 Posts
If all else fails, you should be able to view the factory service manual and wiring diagrams at techauthority.com. I think they still sell a three day subscription for about $30.

If you knew the brand/model remote start module, you may find install instructions that could give you a clue of what was touched.

Reactions: Brad426

· Registered
265 Posts
It's a shame the guy didn't just unplug the remote starter unit and call it a day. If your Jeep was running fine when you first bought it and later the electronic goblins came to roost. Something must have changed. I would solder repair what is obvious and seal. The colour code should be clear about what goes where. Good luck.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I really appreciate it. I went to the junkyard today, tore off another vehicles harness and tried to compare and contrast....
Looks like some of the cabling I have in my vehicle isn't even stock and I'm about to pay for the a full subscription to an auto manual provider for the actual guide.
I'll try tackling it again tomorrow and I hope this car doesnt have to end up at the dealership.... or torched... 🙉🙈🙊

1 - 5 of 5 Posts