Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little clarification regarding replacing the starter on my 94 Jeep YJ Wrangler (2.5L 4 cyl.). I purchased a starter the other day online. When I went to remove the old one I noticed that the new starter was about 2" longer. I called the vendor I purchased it from and he told me that the starters prior to 5/94 we're made by Bousch and the starters after 5/94 was made by Mistsubshi. So my next question was, does it matter which starter I replace it with and he admitted that he wasn't sure. I asked a mechanic friend of mine who said no as long as the bolts are the same length. Does anyone have have any insight or experience regarding starter replacement? I'm trying not to have to take it to a shop, who will hit me with a 20% markup on a starter and $200 in labor for relatively simple job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Although I received no feed back or response to my post, I wanted to share the results. So I decided not to take a chance pulling the old starter out, only to discover that I have the wrong starter, and to take my Jeep to my mechanic. Well my Jeep would not start that one last time, to get it to my mechanic. He sent his tow truck to my house (approx. 3.2 miles) and brought it to his shop. I called 30 minutes later when I realized needed to tell bim that the starter is on the floor behind the driver's. In response, my mechanic chuckled and replied, "I know, it's done, come pick up your car. My mechanic confirmed that either starter is applicable and he installed the purchased starter. Knock on wood he only charged me $50, for the tow and starter swap. He said it took him the same amount of time to do an oil change, which I once watched him do in 9 mins.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.