Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need some input on a lift

915 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Ross 
#1 ·
Hey all,
So I have my 03 TJ Sport which is stock at this point, I'm looking to get a lift and have narrowed it down to two companies. The 4" rough country suspension kit, and the 4" ProComp suspension kit, I'm not the jeeper who will be thrashing the jeep so I don't really need the whole indestructible kit or anything that is top of the line. I know of many people who swear by rough country but also hear on the forum that many don't like them, I will be buying all recommended parts to be sure nothing else breaks due to the increase in height. On the other hand I know many who swear by the procomp lifts and their customer service and warranties. I am still a little confused on the procomp having stage 1 and stage 2 for the 4" lift, also there being no recommended parts on the ProComp site. If anyone has some experiences and or insight with the two lifts please share some knowledge!
-Dane

#2 ·
You should go over to the TJ Tech section and read. There will be hundreds of threads with basically this question. Lots of reading. Short answer is both of those kits are going to be well toward the bottom of any list most people around here would make. I think you'll find in that size lift the most commonly recommended budget kit will be the Zone 4.25".

#3 ·
Answer these questions

1. Why do you want to lift it?
2. How do you currently use your jeep, and what are your future intended uses?
3. What size tires do you intend on running?
4. Any other modifications planned?

WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET?

There are other questions that could apply.
Low budget
Body lift and spacer lift by far the cheapest.
Then you may be looking at shocks.
Larger tires.
Regear.
Then it is "Damn, I should have went with "brand X" kit."
New springs, tires, axles, hiline fenders.

Damn, did I just spend $20,000 on upgrades?

#8 ·
If you want to go 4" your talking a lot of money to do it right. RC and Pro comp are not what you're looking for. You're ride will be terrible. They're cheaper for a reason, they're not well designed high quality lifts. I'd look at Currie for a 4". It's expensive but even if you have to save and wait you'll be very happy. Always best to do it right the first time rather than trash a bad mod and replace

#9 ·
I've heard a lot of people say the 4.25" Zone (fka BDS) combo will give you a good base for a very capable 4x4. Seems to me you're talking about decent shocks and springs, that a lot of people are happy with, which is the least expensive and easily replaceable part of the lift/suspension if you upgraded later. You spend your money on all the other undercarriage bits and pieces. I think that's how I'm going to do it for now.

#10 ·
I have had RC adj arms for over 4 years and replaced one bushing for 15 bucks about 8 months ago. I have been happy with them. That is the only RC component I have had so I can't give you an opinion on anything else they sell.

BUT I wouldn't go over 2.5 susp lift unless you are prepared to spend more money and time understanding the extra that could go along with it.

#11 ·
I'm not the jeeper who will be thrashing the jeep so I don't really need the whole indestructible kit or anything that is top of the line.
This take on a lift upgrade is always interesting to me. Stating that one (not singling you out here, OP) will not be wheeling hard or challenging their Jeep so they don't need a good suspension is a terrible way to look at it. If I were driving my Jeep on the street 95% of her life you bet your *** I'd be looking for the absolute most compliant and cushy ride possible regardless of cost. If the question is 'what's the cheapest way I can get x" of lift' then just ask that. Looks like you've already narrowed that down tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.