Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I have a 1995 YJ on a 4 inch Rough Country lift. I am not happy with the way it rides at all. Way too rough. The lift lives up to its name.

I didn't install the lift...it came with it when I bought it. I am collecting the parts to replace the springs with a set of OME and I plan on using the Rancho 7000 series hydro's for shocks.

Has anyone pulled their shocks and just driven around on the springs alone? I'm just trying to gauge how much of the rough ride is attributed to the springs VS the shocks.

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
10,976 Posts
I have.

It's fine if everything else is up to par. In fact I drove around for 2 months without shocks this past summer.

Don't go highway and stay very local.

Having no front shocks is a little more odd feeling, but it has been done.

Like I said don't go crazy and stay very local... like your sideroad neighborhood type local

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
remove trac bar see if rid gets better. Also if the shackle bushings are seized up it limits the ability of the spring to do its job. RC springs are a hit and miss on being good. They are built in china and what ever metal they come across is what they make the springs with. Video on youtube of them using ship anchor chain and flattening if out and making springs. There use to be a company in the US that made very good springs not sure if they still open.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My plan is to replace the RC springs with a set of Old Man Emu springs.....in the springtime ironically. I was just curious if anyone rode around without shocks just to gauge how rough the ride actually is. How much of an improvement in ride quality can I expect in using a quality shock as opposed to having no shocks at all?

Of course I'll be using shocks on my Jeep....I just want to buy the best ones out there for ride quality and ones that suit my lift.....

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,585 Posts
People rave about Bilsteins, but not me. Mine were the regular 5100's people buy, but they were way (way!) to hards. I went with cheaper, softer, non pressureized, Skyjacker Black Max. It rides smoother than no shocks (which I tried too for a day or two after pulling the Bilsteins), but not harsher.

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,585 Posts
People rave about Bilsteins, but not me. Mine were the regular 5100's people buy, but they were way (way!) to harsh. I went with cheaper, softer, non pressureized, Skyjacker Black Max. It rides smoother than no shocks (which I tried too for a day or two after pulling the Bilsteins), but not harsher.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
People rave about Bilsteins, but not me. Mine were the regular 5100's people buy, but they were way (way!) to hard.
I've heard that mentioned here a few times. Bilstein might make a quality product but I don't think they're what I'm looking for. I was leaning towards the skyjacker 7000 series but I'd like to get the best riding shock for my YJ

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
There are american spring companies. Like say deaver spring. The used to do custom as well, might still. No idea. But they are rather expensive. At least on trucks they are well known to have huge flex but wont hold a load, without say bags.

I looked and seen a rear set of Xj but at near 900 bucks too, 4".

·
Registered
3 Posts
People rave about Bilsteins, but not me. Mine were the regular 5100's people buy, but they were way (way!) to hards. I went with cheaper, softer, non pressureized, Skyjacker Black Max. It rides smoother than no shocks (which I tried too for a day or two after pulling the Bilsteins), but not harsher.
I agree! I just replaced my Bilstein 5100's with the Skyjacker Black Max and its a night and day difference in ride. I started with Zone hydro's and was happy. I replaced those with Bilstein 3 years ago when I built axles. I hated the harsh ride from the day I put them on. The Skyjacker Black Max is a nice shock and works very well on the YJ.

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
10,976 Posts
The 5100s are valved a little tight...which is odd as they have models claimed to be valved specifically for our YJs.

That said, I did like the control and stability of my 5100s.

Now riding on Bilstein 5125s, light valving. They are absolutely incredible. It's actually a better ride than my soccer mom SUV. That isn't even an exaggeration.

·
Registered
18,214 Posts
You're problem is not with the shocks.

Bilsteins are great if you order the valving you need, but they're not "needed".

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
I agree! I just replaced my Bilstein 5100's with the Skyjacker Black Max and its a night and day difference in ride…The Skyjacker Black Max is a nice shock and works very well on the YJ.
I haven't done the skyjacker yet but locally? Nobody complaining. Other than people proud of their expenditure on Bilstien nobody likes them on jeeps. It appears that there's a valving some like now, but from what I've seen locally for the ride skyjacker hydros seem to work out well.

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
10,976 Posts
Now riding on Bilstein 5125s, light valving. They are absolutely incredible. It's actually a better ride than my soccer mom SUV. That isn't even an exaggeration.
Really? That's impressive. What springs are you running?
BDS 3.5" in SUA mode. (Not to be confused with Black Diamond. . . BDS)

Always greased and not dry rotted bushings and boomerang shackles.

Soaks up the raised or recessed manholes, railway crossings.

Haven't been on a washboard packed dirt road I know of with this setup yet. That will come next year though. Kind of excited to get it there to really see the improvement.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I, like Bruin, ran for a little bit with no shocks. I preferred the ride with new front shocks and no rears, but big bumps would cause the rear to hop around, and washboard made my axle float.

I had incredibly worn out bushings that were basically metal-on-metal. My shocks were also shot.

Replacing the shocks did help the harsh ride by a bit. Replacing all of the bushings and greasing them with silicone grease helped much more. I now have a nice smooth ride and while I can feel the bumps, I have a nice controlled ride. Feels like driving in a bigger, heavier vehicle.

I am running Bilstiens. I couldn't care less about the brand, they are just good shocks. I'm specifically running the Rubicon Express shocks that are valved for the YJ. Bilstien makes them.

The only other shocks I can compare to are the completely worn out Skyjackers that were on my Jeep (made the ride much harsher), and the Rancho 7000 series that are on my TJ. The Ranchos on the TJ are too soft, in my opinion. The TJ sways a lot on uneven ground.

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
Well, first thing I'd do is replace the springs. RC = :poop:
And, yeah, there are still companies that make springs in the USA. If fact, there is a spring company right here in central Ca. not too far from me that makes coils for Metal Cloak and Teraflex. I never looked into their leaf springs... but I'm sure they make them for custom orders. They also do springs for Big Rigs.
Anywho, if springs are not in the budget right now, ya might think about getting a set of adjustable's... such as Rancho 9000 or ProComp MX6's. Then you can set them to the ride you like.

Reactions: timatoe and Awesome

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, first thing I'd do is replace the springs. RC = :poop:
I have the new springs already. I bought a set of Old Man Emu CSO36R springs for all 4 corners. I'm going with MORE boomerang shackles at both ends as well. The only mystery really is the shocks.

Can those Rancho 9000s valve down enough to offer a better ride?

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
10,976 Posts
your springs are already REALLY good soft springs.

You're gonna want to find something in terms of shocks that can balance it out. But that would be my line of thinking.

SKyjacker Hydro 7000s are another light shock, cheap option if you really want to go light shock valving.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
your springs are already REALLY good soft springs.

You're gonna want to find something in terms of shocks that can balance it out. But that would be my line of thinking.

SKyjacker Hydro 7000s are another light shock, cheap option if you really want to go light shock valving.
They're not in yet. I haven't got all the parts. The MORE shackles are going to be about 1200 bucks after everything is said and done.

How do I properly measure for shocks? I'm not sure what to do there.....

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
10,976 Posts

1 - 20 of 24 Posts