Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here able to lookup my 2004 grand cherokee ignition pin code via vin number to save me a trip to the dealership? I only have 1 key and need the code to make another.
Thank you
Tom

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Anyone here able to lookup my 2004 grand cherokee ignition pin code via vin number to save me a trip to the dealership? I only have 1 key and need the code to make another.
Thank you
Tom
I got a key made without said code Nd.

The key man stuck my key in his machine.
The machine interrogated the key.

Then the man made the key
using guff from the 1st machine.

·
Registered
439 Posts
A key made from 1 existing key will be a "clone" key and won't be able to use the His and Hers dual settings if your WJ has them.

That said, the key will work fine.

My WJ has the dual memory settings based on which key you use and I never use it.

Reactions: Delta0

·
Registered
11 Posts
No such thing as "His and Hers" dual settings in the keys. Memory 1 & 2 are set and controlled on the driver door panel.

A key made from 1 existing key will be a "clone" key and won't be able to use the His and Hers dual settings if your WJ has them.

That said, the key will work fine.

My WJ has the dual memory settings based on which key you use and I never use it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
No such thing as "His and Hers" dual settings in the keys. Memory 1 & 2 are set and controlled on the driver door panel.
DOH!

I was thinking of the fobs!

You need the PIN to program the 2 different Fobs.

There are 2 different fobs for the GC, a black one and a gray one.

The black one ties to memory 1 and the gray one ties to memory 2.

A cloned FOB won't be able to use the different memory settings.

My brain is defective sometimes.

Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Vehicle door Vehicle
Footwear Shoe Sports equipment Grey Font

·
Registered
11 Posts
The black and gray fobs are both the same and can be programmed to any of the slots. The color and # are for nothing more then visual identification. There are 4 programming slots on the WJ. Fobs programmed to slot 1 and 3 are memory position 1 and slots 2 and 4 are memory position 2. The PIN code is only for programming keys in to the SKIM. The fobs are programmed in to the passenger door module no PIN needed.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
The black and gray fobs are both the same and can be programmed to any of the slots. The color and # are for nothing more then visual identification. There are 4 programming slots on the WJ. Fobs programmed to slot 1 and 3 are memory position 1 and slots 2 and 4 are memory position 2. The PIN code is only for programming keys in to the SKIM. The fobs are programmed in to the passenger door module no PIN needed.
What does the "Fob" look like please Me?

Where I come from
a "Fob" is summat attached to a key.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need to program a key

·
Registered
366 Posts
Does the pin expire? I bought a key five or six years ago but didn't have it coded but I did get a pin at that time. I thought somebody mentioned once that they expire and you have to get a new one if you don't use it within a certain amount of time.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7HO
916 Posts
The security on WJ's is too old to use a rolling pin code, so same pin number for the life of the car. Not sure what happens when you start swapping out PCM's or complete lock/skim module sets tho?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I called a dealer yesterday, I was ordering parts for a Jeep at work, I asked if he would get the pin for me, he said he would have to charge me $25.... No thanks, I will call someone else. I may have it somewhere at home. Years ago the keys got locked in the Jeep, and a friend who worked at a Jeep dealer made a key for me, which i never got programmed, he wrote the PIN on the receipt. Unfortunately, he does not work there anymore.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
WJ uses the FOBs pictured above. The only thing they attach to is a key ring.
It's actually "fob", a word, not "FOB" as an acronym. Historically, a fob is an ornament that attaches to a watch chain or keyring - hence fob watches, those watches that attach to a chain and live in a pocket in a waistcoat/vest.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts