Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I never owned a jeep before. I picked one up for my son. Its a 2006 liberty don't know if sport or not sorry for that. My problem is that shortly after the purchase the link cable to the transfer case popped out. My friend popped it back in and said if it happened again to replace the cable. It did happen again. Went to the dealer and picked up a new lever/linkage cable and got it installed. Again the cable popped out. 200+ down the drain because it wasn't the cable but now my friend tells me the the transfer case is getting stuck and not moving at times. Fast forward transfer case replaced and now the jeeps speedometer shows 100+mph when only driven 50 mph. And the car jerks and losses all power above 50mph. Any help would help

·
Registered
348 Posts
So, this may get more expensive than you're going to want.

Take the Libby to a reputable transmission shop and have the transfer case checked. The speedo gets its signal from a sensor in the T-case. And while it could be the sensor itself, it could also be something in there causing it to double- report. Which is probably why it's reading 100 MPH- which causes the loss in power because the computer thinks it's redlining.

Absolute worst case, they have to rebuild the transfer case. I had to have that done on mine about 6 months ago and it's pretty expensive. But it's way more likely that it's either the sensor or its wiring.

Also, which T-case are we talking about here? The NP242 has "full time" and "part time" on its shifter, while the NP231 just has "4hi" and "4lo". Different case innards and all that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So sorry the t-case is the np231j. Which brings me to another issue. The lever has 2hi-4hi-N-4lo but when put into 4hi the light comes on for part time. And I went by the shop today and had the speed sensor removed from the old t-case to see if that is the problem

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ok, full stop. The light for "part time" shouldn't be coming on with a 231. That's either another broken sensor, or scrambled wiring, or they swapped in a 242.

If you can get into the shop, go under there and read what's actually written on the tag. It should be shiny aluminum, and on the side by the output shaft.

Hopefully one of the more experienced guys will come on because we're approaching the limit of my knowledge.

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
ok lets try to figure this out

2006 liberty, NP231J T'case, ENGINE ?.

Speedo is AFU reading 100mph range? bouncing or fixed at specific #?
T'case indicates

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Teh603 it is the same t-case I double checked with the pic I took of the old one with the replacement. Both had the same model number np231-j.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jtec it's the 3.7L. And as stated the car was driven fine just once the t-case got swapped out the speedometer started to act up. So I plan to install the speed sensor from the old t-case on the new one. And double check what ever I can when I get under the car. I have replaced all the wheel sensor front ABS driver and passenger and both rears. The only thing that is left is to check the the t-case sensor (A) got plugged in and (B) if it did replace with the old one

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
My memory (old and rusty) does not recall a speed sensor on T'case.
A position sensor yes speedo IDK.

Do you have a scanner - I would think codes B and or C series.

2006 liberty 3.7L, speedo issue and a new dash light "part time" illuminates in 4hi , will it also illuminate in 4lo?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jtec you might be right on what I am calling a speed sensor on the t-case. Again never owned a 4x4 in my life. And as for 4lo the light goes on for it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just in case it might be misunderstood when the shifter is put into 4lo a light goes on saying 4lo. Part time only comes on when 4hi is selected. Both with the original and the new one installed

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
I found this in manual
[DHN]=Command-Trac Part Time NVG 231 Transfer Case.
"On vehicles equipped with the Command-Trac four-wheel drive system, the
part time indicator lights when the transfer case is engaged in the "4H" or "4L" positions"

So that suggests that the light should be on -
Are you original owner?

Let me know What sensor you remove from trans

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just in case it might be misunderstood when the shifter is put into 4lo a light goes on saying 4lo. Part time only comes on when 4hi is selected. Both with the original and the new one installed

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jtec forgot the second part. No I am not the original owner I bought it used from a private seller. And he was not the original either. He bought the jeep for his son for work purpose. We had gone on a test drive for say 20 minutes or so. On blacktop for must part of the drive and say 3-5 minutes going up and down the hills on his property. It drove good handled great.

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
Its early - time for coffee and then medical appt SO info will come peace meal.

thats what I thought - that is NOT a speed sensor. That is what sends the 2hi 4lo or 4hi position to the PCM. The wires are likely AFU OR my guess the sensor detent pin often gets stuck won't extend. If you have sensor in hand self explanatory clean the detent so it comes out further.

Speed info comes from ABS system and the BCM to PCM the info is sent over the Bus (computers network) to the cluster.

WHat Im thinking -
I have seen the speedo go weird something like you mention - A issue with the ALTERNATOR diodes send a AC current and the speed type sensors get really confused - you could check the alternator diodes EASY
FAST inexpensive :) - google "alternator diode check" a tutorial will help if needed.

Again do you have a good $$$ SCANNER ?

Sorry for confusion my meds do that - back later

·
Registered
348 Posts
My memory (old and rusty) does not recall a speed sensor on T'case.
A position sensor yes speedo IDK.
Now I'm finding mixed results on it depending on where I search. Yesterday, everything said the T-case. My guess is some Jeep models have it there and some don't?

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
OK on the Part time and 4lo lights - It seams they are operating correctly, READ the owners manual!!

I had my silly rant - the system seams OK. Do you have a owners manual? did you read it - let us know.

ALso advise on your SCANNER and the DIODE check...

Anything else other than speedo AFU at this time ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do own a scanner. And I wish I would have never bought the car. I open a big can of worms. So I know I said I replaced all the wheel sensors front and back. Now the ABS light is on and it's reading 3 out of the 4 sensors with a trouble code. When I erased the codes the jeep did go somewhat faster hit 60 MPH and with in a minute it would go pass 50 MPH. getting the MPH from a speedometer app on the phone. The actual speedometer in the car is reading 100+ MPH still. So back to square one. I want to thank you guys for the advice and will check the alt when I get a chance. Going to post the codes
C1020 LR wheel speed sensor circuit
C101F RF speed comparative performance
C1014 LF speed comparative performance

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@jtec so I purchased a new scanner. It's the launch 129x. I had my son drive the car while I took at look at the reading from the speed sensors. The 2 front sensors show the correct speed of the vehicle. The 2 rear sensor how ever show no activity. The fronts showed 0-55 mph from start to finish on a 10 minute drive. While the rears showed 0 mph the whole time. I have replaced the wire from front to back on both sides. Have replaced both connectors. Have check the ring tone or tone ring on both sides. Went as far to wire brush and use degreaser to make sure the tone ring or ring tone was super clean. So the only thing that is left now is the ABS module. What do you think? And as a side note I did use stranded wire. Should I be using solid wire? Can the stranded wire be an issue in your opinion

1 - 20 of 21 Posts