Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 yj 4.2 L with the BA10/5 tranny and np 231 T-case. One day I was accelerating from a stop when the rear driveshaft broke lose and started violently thrashing. I immediately pulled over, and looked underneath to find it was bleeding t-case fluid everywhere. After closer inspection I found that the rear U-joint somehow fell apart, and the torque of the flailing driveshaft cracked the t case.
Anyway now I'm working on getting a new T-case, and am having a difficult time. If I could find a good deal on a newer AX15 with 231, I might take that opportunity. The problem I see with that is that all the AX15 with 231s I'm finding at the junkyard have electronic speedos. Does anyone know how I could make a conversion between a mechanical speedo and the new ones? If I do end up just getting a tcase, does anyone know the years that would be directly compatible with the BA 10/5? There are plenty of cherokees at the junkyard but I'm just not sure of compatibility. Any answers or advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So that would allow me to go newer with a transfer case, accept with the input shaft problem, I believe the BA10/5 has a 19 spline, whereas the AX15 has 21 spline. Any idea on that conversion? Also how would I clock the new transfer case?
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like swapping between speedos won't be that difficult, thanks guys! Ourlee I might have to take you up on that offer but first I would like to look into if I could swap an AX15/NP231 from a cherokee. I heard that the transfer case clocking was different, but other than that and the external clutch slave cylinder what else might I find that would set me back in doing this conversion? Again thanks a lot guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.