Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Front bumper Build

I built a rear bumper and It turned out well ( http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/home-built-swing-away-rear-bumper-898906/ )but I want the front bumper to be a lot cooler.

I built the rear with a 110v welder. I now have a Millermatic 251. I also put my torch back into service. the problem is that I'm coming up blank on the design.

I want a winch plate. I have some 2x4x3/16" and 2x2x3/16" tubing, some 3/4"x3" strap for d-ring mounts and 20' of 1/4"x6" flat bar.

I've done some searches and found a few threads but I'm not inspired just yet. I need some help! The build will be posted here.

Here are some I found...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/front-bumpers-post-your-bumper-631508/

This is a cool mock-up -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/starting-front-bumper-build-603095/

This is one of the coolest rear bumpers ever -- New Rear Bumper Build - MallCrawlin.com Forums

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
56 views and no replies?

oh well :rolleyes:. My buddy Dale who's building a CJ-7 decided to lend a hand. We managed to get the design and the main structural members fabricated.

I hope to get the lower panels, hitch installed and at least decide on some lights tomorrow or Wednesday.

here are the pics.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
im diggin it. Add a stinger too

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eh, I don't like the end cap things there. But you're fab skilly are better then me. Keep truckin boss.
I'll cap the ends. There will also be an angled lower half made of 1/4" plate. hopefully a receiver hitch and some lights too.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Looking nice. A stinger and grille hoop integrated into that will help protect your grille, winch, and any lights you may hang off it. Been down that road, but my bumper is a Jeeperman, just modded the upper portion with hoop and stinger. I'd suggest even tapering the ends by the fenders at a 45 degree angle so it doesn't look boxy on the ends.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Made some progress got the lower half put together. Receiver hitch, d-ring mounts, shield, boxed the ends. Still going to add a steering box guard and box in the passenger side at the frame as well to give a more finished look from the side.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
i have to admit, i dont like that shape. but i gotta give you props for doing it all yourself :thumbsup: i really wish i had the tools to do that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting shape, I would definitely put a stinger or hoop on it. How are you going to finish it?
I'll fill, sand and paint it. Probably a satin black like the rear bumper. there will be a winch and some lights.

I like these...
2 X Car Truck Universal Day Fog Aux 8 LED White Light:eBay Motors (item 220511976033 end time Nov-19-09 23:23:52 PST)

and these

28 LED Light Driving Lamp Universal Super Bright White :eBay Motors (item 120493816297 end time Nov-18-09 17:58:30 PST)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's supposed to rain so I threw on some primer. I think the contrast helps you see it better. It all being one color helps a lot too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have to admit, i dont like that shape. but i gotta give you props for doing it all yourself :thumbsup: i really wish i had the tools to do that.
What don't you like? I'm not done yet but I haven't decided where to stop.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very interesting look. Nothing like doing it yourself.
Thanks! It's starting to come together. I almost have the steering box guard finished. I mounted the stock lights because they're free. I'll swap out for some LED lights later.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
got up early before church and worked on the steering box guard some more. Evidently I should have left a gap in the welds for the side plate. The welds ruined my hole saw and drill bits. I was forced to torch it. Made for an ugly mess that I'll have to use a die grinder to clean up. I miss my plasma cutter!!! Oh well, at least it's moving along.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.