Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!
I hope I'm posting this in the correct spot. I've moved on from my rust bucket CJ and got a much newer 2006 LJ Unlimited to off road with my family in. It needs a little bit of work, but it's not so nice I'm afraid to scratch it up.

1) My VIN states that this model is a Rubicon. It does not have Rubicon badges or locker controls. However, it does have Dana 44 front and rear, rear disc brakes. How can my VIN state Rubicon and I have the front and rear D44 with rear disc brakes, but no lockers? The Build Sheet says Tru-LOK front and rear axles?

2) It also says I should have a factory Subwoofer, I don't hear it and don't see where it would be?

3) There was some front passenger damage. I'm missing the center hood to grill latch. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Did Jeep change the TJ latches in 2001? Is this the part I need? https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/m...0PXVubGltaXRlZC1ydWJpY29uJmU9NC0wbC1sNi1nYXM=
Camera accessory Font Technology Cameras & optics Rectangle

4) Also, it appears the mileage on the carfax does not match my odometer, so that's awesome. I'm worried someone swapped the odometer on me. I wonder if something else is boogered or broken. I may take the radio bezzle apart and see what's under there. Currently a cheap aftermarket headunit installed. Is there anything I need to look out for? It seems to run great, drives great, just not sure what I have exactly. I was going for 6 speed LJ at a good price, so far I think I got what I paid for.
Thanks for any help!
Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Number

·
A locked & armored LJ
647 Posts
Sorry I meant to clarify. I have decoded the VIN, it says I have Tru-LOK but I don't have the controls. I do have the 4 wheel disc brakes and D44 front and rear, just no locker controls.
What xfer case to you have?
Confirm that it's the OEM Rubicon D44 in the front and not an aftermarket?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have a 6 in the VIN’s 6th position it was a Rubicon from the factory. Things may be added or removed but was originally built as a Rubicon.
All Rubicons had the locker controls as well correct? I wonder if my dash has been boogered with on the stereo install. It definitely has the 6 in the 6th position of the VIN.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What xfer case to you have?
Confirm that it's the OEM Rubicon D44 in the front and not an aftermarket?
I'll try to find out which transfer case. Maybe the dash has just been tampered with. I sure appreciate yalls help. The D44 in the front looks factory to me, but I'm not sure.
Font Number Document Screenshot Handwriting
Font Number Document Screenshot Electric blue

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does the VIN plate on the dash match the VIN label on the tub (hinge side of driver door)? The frame also has a VIN, believe it's seen on frame below passenger door. Body panels, doors etc all should have labels with VIN. They should all match. Did you purchase from private seller or dealer? Is the title marked salvage or rebuilt? Does the ID tag on the transfercase indicate 231 or 241? You will need to do a lot of investigating. Possibly the only thing from a Rubicon is the VIN plate. Don't know what pretense the Jeep was sold as, could be pursued as fraud and odometer tampering.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does the VIN plate on the dash match the VIN label on the tub (hinge side of driver door)? The frame also has a VIN, believe it's seen on frame below passenger door. Body panels, doors etc all should have labels with VIN. They should all match. Did you purchase from private seller or dealer? Is the title marked salvage or rebuilt? Does the ID tag on the transfercase indicate 231 or 241? You will need to do a lot of investigating. Possibly the only thing from a Rubicon is the VIN plate. Don't know what pretense the Jeep was sold as, could be pursued as fraud and odometer tampering.
Private seller. 231J transfer case. Vin on the dash matches the tub. I'll see if I can find the frame VIN at lunch. I purchased from Private Seller. It was neglected. I still think I got a deal. I'm thinking something went wrong with Rubicon lockers or maybe a different accident and then repaired? It definitely has rear disc brakes and D44 front and rear(Rubicon specific), also seems like the 4.11 ratio but I'm speculating.
Everything seems to match up except for the lockers missing. I'm afraid I might have trac-lok and now I have to learn about that which everyone seems to hate. I do know both rear tires spin. It doesn't act like a locker on pavement but I can't make just one tire spin in dirt, both kick in. I'll jack it up this weekend and investigate further.

I sure do appreciate everyone's help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
So it doesn't have the Rubicon 241 transfer case. The Rubicon D44's have an air line and electrical connector on the differential. Do you have any of that? Seems like you got an entire driveline swap. Can you post pictures?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it doesn't have the Rubicon 241 transfer case. The Rubicon D44's have an air line and electrical connector on the differential. Do you have any of that? Seems like you got an entire driveline swap. Can you post pictures?
I will get some pictures for sure. I wonder why, they sure did a good job it seems. And why go to the trouble to put D44 back with disc brakes in the rear and a D44 up front? Very confusing!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Did you contact your Dept of motor vehicles in your state and get a lien check, stolen car check or salvage check?

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
41,991 Posts
Just an LJ. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Rubicon D44's have an air line and electrical connector on the differential. Do you have any of that?. Can you post pictures?
check this. Small tube coming out of top side of diff and a switch with a large pigtail. Rubi 44s also have drain plugs.

If the tube is there hook a small hose to it and blow into it. Thats enough pressure to engage the factory locker. Jack up one wheel and try to spin it while doing so.

You don't need the weird factory pumps to run rubi lockers. But you do need a regulator and a pop off valve with an arb setup to safely reduce pressure

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
check this. Small tube coming out of top side of diff and a switch with a large pigtail. Rubi 44s also have drain plugs.

If the tube is there hook a small hose to it and blow into it. Thats enough pressure to engage the factory locker. Jack up one wheel and try to spin it while doing so.

You don't need the weird factory pumps to run rubi lockers. But you do need a regulator and a pop off valve with an arb setup to safely reduce pressure
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Looks like you have a nice rust free Jeep. Not a Rubicon but still very nice. Strange about the VIN though

1 - 20 of 25 Posts