Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While replacing a dead battery I found that my negative battery terminal was missing the little clamp you see in the attached picture. It's purpose is when you tighten the nut it puts pressure on this little clamp which secures the connector to the terminal which you can see in the linked video. Because this clamp is missing my negative connector is loose. Can anyone share the part # with me or help me find a replacement to buy?

I went to 2 dealers locally here in FL - The first gave me a different style connector which would require replacing the entire existing connector versus just the little missing clamp. This would require significant work and is not the solution. The second said the only way I can get just that clamp is with an entire replacement cable or wiring harness which is also ridiculous. I also haven't found a replacement on OEM parts diagrams.

Please let me know what you think any help is appreciated.

Attachments

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to or called 3x local junk yards here in FL and none of them had any Jeep Wranglers. I walked around and found other FCA cars/trucks but none of them had the same style of connector. After 2x dealership parts departments not having the correct part I decided to make my own replacement versus cutting off the connector and replacing it.

I used angled steel I got from the hardware store, used the bracket from the positive battery terminal connector to make a rough template, then used a combination of dremel bits, a drill, and assorted hand files to cut and grind away material to the correct shape. Since the bracket has a little lip at the end to keep it secure to the connector I used a vice to bend it a little bit so it was tight. If you do this yourself just take your time and make sure that you don't bend the metal too much or it'll weaken like when you bend a paper clip out of shape.

Attachments

· Premium Member
6,774 Posts
Nice DIY fix. :tea:

Might want to keep and eye on it and check it periodically since it looks like the new part is slightly better than half as thick as the original.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.