Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diving to my mom's thirty miles away. Half way there it started to get hot never done that. I did patch my radiator and changed water pump and thermostat. It got a little hot but died and then sat there for a few while I checked fluids. No streaming but I took it easier driving. I was going through some small hills. Got there and back was missing after the temperature rise. But now I hear an exhaust. I changed plugs. Old ones had built up black stuff on them. Put new ones in still runs like crap have to be able to operate with one for holding clutch and operating the gas so it doesn't die. I can do the work but don't have the experience.

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Start with the "overheating".

The in panel gauge is notoriously inaccurate and just because it is above its normal position, does not mean it is overheated. You can buy a cheap IR thermometer for a few bucks and aim it at the radiator, the thermostat housing etc.

IF you have coolant in there and a sealed system with a WORKING radiator cap holding 16psi it will not boil until about 260F. 127 celcius.

Font Technology Electric blue Parallel Screenshot

It will often show a low temperature until it warms up, the thermostat opens and you see a sudden spike to around 160. How much depends on which thermostat you put in, and you should have one.

Now check what temperature at the thermostat housing corresponds to your normal position on the gauge. I am betting it is around 160-170. now see what your HOT is, I am betting it is about 230.

So if you have not actually overheated the engine, and it has just risen as they do, what is causing a misfire?

The black plugs suggest an overly rich mixture or a partial failure of the ignition. Either way incomplete burning of the mixture is leaving soot.

You say it is not idling, have you checked all the ignition leads, that you have not knocked something off? Are your vacuum lines still connected?

i would start looking at something you knocked off yourself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts