Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

This is my first post.

I am absolutely new to off road vehicles, but, I am a veteran backpacker and hunter. I would really appreciate your advice.

My Goal is to be able to Overland and camp with my 9 year old son. He has Downs Syndrome and loves to camp, but I need a really safe vehicle because we will not be walking 20 miles out of the back country if stranded (I will carry a satellite phone).

We will be traveling all kinds of back roads, forested roads and go to beaches and camp on the sand. I will not do any rock crawling or planning to drive extreme technical trails. I am trying to spend as little money as possible and avoid spending 60K plus on a Rubicon. I will be keeping the vehicle for 10 to 15 years.

Can I buy the following basic Jeep and do a few safety modifications to get a safe and very capable vehicle.
  • 4 door Wrangler Unlimited 4 x 4 with hardtop, Sirius XM, all weather mats
  • All Weather Tires
  • Reinforced hinged gate
  • 3.6 v6 automatic six sped 8 speed
  • Anti-spin differential
  • Gear ratio of 3.45
Questions
  • How off-road competent is this basic build?
  • Do I have to drop the anti-spin differential to do any aftermarket rear locker (I think the cost is about $2,100 for a quality locker)? If I add the locker, do I need to do anything else? I believe the lock would bail me out if I get into situations where one or 2 of my wheels come off the ground.
  • Any other suggestions for a safe and competent vehicle that will not go on extreme roads or rock crawl?
  • Should I look for a used jeep and just build it?
Thanks,

Geoff

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good day, guys!

This is my very first blog entry.

Although I am good to off-road vehicles, I am a seasoned traveler and hunter. I'd be grateful for any advice you could provide me.

My ambition is to be able to Overland with my 9-year-old son and camp with him. He has Down syndrome and enjoys camping, but I need a very safe vehicle because if we become trapped, we will not be walking 20 miles out into the back country (I will carry a satellite phone).

We'll go on back roads, through forests, and to beaches, where we'll camp on the sand. I have no plans to go rock crawling or drive very tough routes. I'm attempting to save as much money as possible.

Thanks for I Have selected autoparts-miles for good and quality jeep engine they have provided

1 - 3 of 3 Posts