Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
3321 - 3340 of 3356 Posts

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,321 ·
If you made it up the opening climb, the first major obstacle is called "The Crack." You climb this ledge - it's not a slam dunk, but also not terribly difficult - but it is right along the cliff.

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,322 ·
Soon after passing through The Crack, and changing your shorts, comes the Z-Turn. It's a stepped climb obstacle that takes the path of a Z.

This gives you some perspective on the opening ledge.

Plant Sky Bedrock Mountain Formation

The easier line is to the left - Chris goes right up the middle.

And here is the view from the driver's seat:

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,323 ·
One of my favorite Lunch spots is this overlook at the top of Moab Rim. You have a view of all of Moab. This is the first time I have been up here without 20 other rigs. It was quite cool to be up there by ourselves.

Sky Tire Plant Mountain Wheel

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,324 ·
Moab Rim is a loop trail which circles back on itself. About halfway through the loop there is a cool sand hill which goes from one side of the loop to the other. It's pretty steep, and a cool pace to let the Hemi eat.

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,325 ·
As I said Moab Rim is a loop trail, and the last mile is going back down the cliff you came in on. Which means coming down the Z-Turn and coming down The Crack - down these obstacles while looking over the cliff. Pucker Factor = 11.

Coming down the Z-Turn:

And coming down The Crack - my brother Dave (with the camera) has his back to about a 300 foot drop. After a pause, the video continues down the rest of the trail.

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,326 ·
Wednesday afternoon was all about Hell - Hell's Revenge that is. Hell's is a fairly easy trail with several hardcore optional obstacles. But the opening climb will wake you right up.

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,327 ·
The iconic obstacle on Hell's Revenge is Hell's Gate. The Gate is a loop, and this is me following Chris through the first half down to the valley floor:

And then following Chris around the rest of the loop and back up to the top. It's not a tough climb, but many people have picked the wrong line and tumbled end over end back down to the bottom.

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,328 ·
The fun of Hell's is in the optional obstacles. Here is one - it's a steep, steep, slick climb of about 30 vertical feet which goes up to the hot tubs. Not for the squeamish: when you start to slide, you slide over sideways.

The roar in the background after I'm up is Chris making a few attempts to come up behind me.

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,329 ·
Then we are at the famous Hot Tubs. There are three in this location: Mickey's Hot tub is the most famous, but there is also Car Wash (which is dry and easy), and Devil's (which is neither dry nor easy - it's also not hard, it's INSANE).

Funny story, while we were up here we actually met Mickey (Dan Mick). He was up here guiding a group, and gave us some pointers on how to get through.

This is Car Wash:

And this is Chris attempting Devil's - he wound up backing out. You can't believe how deep it is (must be 15 or 20 feet) and how steep the back wall is (must be 50 or 60 degrees). As I said - INSANE!

This will give Devil's a bit of perspective:

Slope Bedrock Terrain Formation Landscape

And this is me coming into Mickey's:

And me getting out. It took me a few inelegant shots - Chris did it in two.

And here is Chris coming through Mickey's:

Did I mention it was crazy windy up there?

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,330 ·
My memory is fading as to when, but somewhere along Hell's way we hit Tipover Challenge. We both managed to stay off of our lids...

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,331 ·
The trip was not without its significant mechanical challenges for the rigs. I for one had two valve stem cores fail - AT ONCE! Sketchy.

When we got back to our place after running Hell's, Chris noticed his passenger side rear axle shaft seal was leaking. So, after dinner in town, we threw in a replacement.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Watch Saw Automotive tire Abrasive saw Circular saw

Good as new.

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,332 ·
Then we took it up a few notches, as the plan for Thursday was to hit Pritchett Canyon.

First up on Pritchett is the Brick Yard.

Here is a GoPro video coming through:

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,333 ·
Pritchett Canyon has five major obstacles: Chewy, Rocker Knocker, Axle Hill, Rock Pile / Son of Rock Pile, and Yellow Hill.

First up is Chewy, which is another stepped obstacle with a right hand turn half way up.

I hit it first to let Chris go to school on my line, and it took me two shots.

And then Chris one shotted - being very sure to remind me afterwards....

Here is a GoPro video on me coming up Chewy.

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,334 ·
Although not a major obstacle, at least is has a name. Here are Chris and I coming up Broken Step.

And a GoPro video of me following Chris up.

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,335 ·
Next up was Rocker Knocker. The line most take is to slide sideways along the two steps to the left and crawl out the notch at the left side of the obstacle. Not wanting to slow the group down, Chris and I went right up the middle:

Sky Cloud Mountain Ecoregion Plant

Chris was first up - I will point out that it took him two shots...

And then me, on the same line.

And here is a GoPro video of me coming up. If you listen very closely, after coming up in one shot I politely point this out to Chris...

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,336 ·
And on to Axle Hill. Yet another steep, slick climb with a sharp right turn half way up. I'm starting to sense a pattern here...

Mountain Bedrock Plant Wood Cloud

Anyway, Chris going up:

And then me, first having to heat up the tires just a bit.

It's amazing what a little heat will do:

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,337 ·
The second obstacle from the end of the trail is Son of Rockpile, and just prior to it is an optional obstacle called Rock Pile. It is a nasty, jagged 10 foot ledge nearly vertical.

Here is Chris giving it hell. You may notice that he is wearing a helmet for this one.

Chris put on quite the show. He hit this thing 8 or ten times. Hard.

On his final shot, he launched that monster stretched YJ like the space shuttle. Listen carefully at the end:

And just like that - the monster YJ was one wheel drive. Chris broke the passenger side rear axle shaft, and the front output shaft on the transfer case.

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,338 ·
Fortunately, we were close to the end of the trail. With great effort we were able to winch Chris up and over Son of Rockpile, leaving only Yellow Hill to navigate.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

There is a good winch point at the top of Yellow Hill, and after dragging his broken *** over to the base we began the slow process of winching the YJ all the way up.

Bedrock Terrain Slope Mountain Formation

After that it was an easy, but very long, 30 mile or so run back to town using a combination of towing Chris through the challenging stuff, and him running in two wheel drive through the passible stuff.

I think Dave and I need to formally start a Pritchett Canyon Towing Service....

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,339 ·
With Chris out of commission, Dave and I hooked up with a group from another forum on Friday to run Steel Bender. I've not run Steel Bender before, and although not a very challenging trail, it was unique. The opening section is through the trees with several water crossings, and you pass several houses and farms - which I've never seen on any other trail I've run in Moab.

This is the beginning section of the trail:

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,340 ·
Steel Bender is not without its challenges. This is an obstacle called "The Fall." It's an optional line with a nasty drop off immediately to the passenger side - but the main trail is not much better.

And right after you navigate the first ledge, there is another nasty ledge ad the bottom.

Here is The Fall from the driver's seat:

3321 - 3340 of 3356 Posts