Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
3301 - 3320 of 3356 Posts

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,302 ·
Getting ready to load up the rig for Moab. I had a few minutes, so I took the opportunity to take a tongue weight. This is with the Jeep in the position on the trailer in which I usually run it.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Road surface Vehicle Asphalt

:oops:

Holy crap - that's a bit more than I expected. Since my guess is that the loaded trailer is in the 9-10,000 lb range, my tongue weight should be more like a grand. I've ran the rig a lot and found that this position towed very well - but it seems like too much weight.

So I pulled the rig back about 6 inches to see what it did to the tongue weight.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

A little better at 1175 pounds.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Plant Asphalt

I'll position it here for now, and tomorrow I'll take a quick test drive with the weight distributing hitch and see how she does.

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,303 ·
All loaded up and ready to head out for Moab first thing tomorrow morning. I'm meeting Chris just outside of St. Louis after lunch - and then 1500 miles to mecca.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Car

If anyone is interested in following along, I'll be posting a bit to Instagram. I'm jeff_doster over there.

The bike just looks pissed - it knows I'm going to be in the dirt without it.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,305 ·
The trip out to Moab was a blast. No issues with the trailer this year, but the truck did give me a bit of trouble. On the way out, somewhere in Western Missouri, the turbo charge tube on the diesel let loose with a large pop - and then no power at all. Wonderful. Fortunately, it was early Saturday afternoon, and we were able to find a Ford dealership along the way which had a replacement. I think our total delay was less than an hour.

Automotive tire Black Automotive design Automotive exhaust Flooring

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,306 ·
The ride out was not all Sunshine and Rainbows, however. On Sunday, coming across the Rockies, we ran into a surprise snowstorm. I know that quite a few TJ Festers ran into this on both Saturday night and Sunday. There were several accidents, and 70 was at a dead stop for hours at a time. It turned what is usually a short day arriving in Moab mid-afternoon, to a 17 hour day arriving just before midnight.

Vehicle Mountain Snow Sky Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

To complicate matters, Chris was fighting brake issues on his big gooseneck trailer, and wound up under it in the snow a few times.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,307 ·
Because of the late arrival on Sunday, we spent Monday morning getting the place arranged and hitting the grocery store. Not wanting to waste the day, we decided to blow through Fins in the afternoon. Chris' wife was along for the ride, and it was also a good way to ease her into Moab wheelin'.

FIns is a pretty easy trail, but we hit a few of the optional obstacles to keep it interesting.

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,308 ·
On Tuesday we ran Poison Spider / Golden Spike / and Gold Bar Rim, which makes for a pretty long day even for just two rigs.

Here is Chris following me up a ledge early on PS.

Here I am making an easy ledge look challenging.

Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

And another little ledge I've always called "The Of Course Ledge" after a comment someone made last year.

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,312 ·
A short hike off the trail at our lunch spot is this unbelievable arch. That's my brother standing out there - behind him is about a 1000' drop down to the Colorado River.

Brown Ecoregion Sky Plant Bedrock

Chris also made the climb - I stayed behind to take pictures. Hey, someone had to do it...:rolleyes:

Sky Cloud Plant Bedrock Natural landscape

Here is my brother climbing out there. This is anything but a simple walk...

This is what that arch looks like from the other side of the river. This view is from the base of the Moab Rim Trail.

Plant Plant community Mountain Ecoregion Sky

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,313 ·
From just beyond the arch, on the back side of that same ridge, you get this view of the Moab Rim trail on the other side of the Colorado River. If you look closely, you can see the Z-Turn just to the right of the center of the picture.

Brown Sky Cloud Bedrock Slope

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,314 ·
And it wouldn't be a trip up Golden Spike without a picture from the overlook.

https://***************.com/attachments/moab-2022-0148-chris-on-overlook-jpg.327693/

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,316 ·
We hit Double Whammy and played around there for a bit.

I would be remiss if I did not point out that it took Chris a couple of shots to make it up...

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,317 ·
But Chris did redeem himself. On the left hand side of Double Whammy is a nasty undercut ledge that you can follow up the center. But there is what I call The Buggy Line where you turn left half way up and climb to the top. Again, the video does not do this justice. It is gnarly, steep and tall. I have only seen one buggy take this line in the past.

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,319 ·
Coming off of Gold Bar Rim, it's a long drive back to town on the Gemini Bridges Road. There is a good view of the Gooney Bird, including driving over his toes for good luck, and then a long run along some high ridges to get back to the main road. I've also done this run in the dark - and that's a bit scary.

You can skip through to get to the good parts - as it's a bit long. But it's a fun watch. Skip through to about the 6 minute mark to see the high cliffs.

·
I miss the snow...
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,320 ·
On Wednesday we ran Moab Rim, and then Hell's Revenge after lunch.

If you have never done Moab Rim, the opening mile is quite sketchy as it starts at the Colorado River, and then climbs along the rim of the cliff going up over a thousand feet I think. And it's technical. It is one of my favorite trails in Moab.

Here is a GoPro Video of the first half of that climb, up to and obstacle called the crack. Hard to tell, but for a lot of the trail the driver is staring down a sheer drop off down to the Colorado.

3301 - 3320 of 3356 Posts