Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
3261 - 3280 of 3344 Posts

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,261 ·
While I was working out in the shop, this thing shows up. Man, I could'a used it about a week ago!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Building

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,262 ·
Next up was to tackle the sub. First step - pull the console. I always use Weatherpack connectors when I need something to be removeable, and the console is no exception. I have a winch controlled mounted in the front, and that is that second connector. I'll add a connector for the new sub wire as well.

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car

I pulled apart the console to get to the sub, and I can't imagine why that sub needs so many wires, and a 12 pin connector!

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Audio equipment

Oh yeah, that's it...

Luggage and bags Audio equipment Gadget Bag Office supplies

That goes as well. Good riddense. Anyway, I rewired the sub in series as @skrelnik recommended. This should give me 4 ohms resistance. But again, not trusting my wiring abilities I pulled out the multi-meter. 3.8 ohms - so I'm good.

Table Electrical wiring Desk Audio equipment Cable

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,263 ·
Tomorrow I'll complete the final connections to the amplifier, mount the amp in its new home, and test it all out.

Meanwhile, I pulled the crate off of the new toy. I'll miss my big old Laguna, but I'll get over it...:)

Tire Wheel Gas Tints and shades Window

This thing is a beast. It was too tall to bring into the shop through the overhead door. I had to get my neighbor to come over and help me tip it over at an angle and drag it in. Which was no small feat as it was 628 pounds sitting on the pallet.

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,264 ·
Well, I spent a few days chasing some static issues, but I finally figured it out.

Along the way, I took the time to go through and disconnect all the connections from the amp, and then slowly started reconnecting things double checking everything as I went. Still static.

But then a little positive progress. I read through an article that a buddy passed along, and one thing caught my eye. It said to set the volume to normal listening level with the music on pause, and if you hear static reduce the gain and increase the volume until you and find a balance between the two.

So I adjusted the gain knob (increased it, according to the markings) and sure enough the static was markedly reduced. Now in the documentation on the amp it said to set the gain to the voltage output on the head unit - 4 volts in my case. The documentation was clear: Do not set the gain by ear - set it to the proper voltage, which is what I had done.

The 3 gain adjustment dials are marked with voltage from 12 - .5 volts, clockwise, so I had originally set it at where 4 volts should have been according to the markings. I played with the gain a bit and found a setting which balanced the static and the volume. Funny, it wound up about where the 8 volt mark would be according to the markings - or at about where the 4 volt mark would be if the markings were reversed - which I'm thinking they are...

Well, the gain adjustment did the trick. Adjusted it to about +8 volts according to the knob, +4 volts in the real world, and it pretty much took care of all of the static. The damned markings on the gain control definitely sent me on a wild goose chase for a couple of days. But, it's done. To my untrained ear, at this gain setting the sound is better as well.

Let this be a lesson to you kids - don't follow the directions!

I tucked the amp up into its final resting spot (remember that bracket I made like six months ago??? :rolleyes:), secured all the cables, and buttoned everything back up. Turned out to be a bigger project than planned, but I'm happy with the results.

Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design Vehicle

And now I get to go play with the new band saw.... :cool:

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,265 ·
Spent some time today assembling and truing up the new band saw. Variable speed, wood and metal. 220 volt, 2 HP. It's a beast.

Fixture Floor Gas Cylinder Composite material

Now I just need something to cut!

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,266 ·
A quick project for the rig today. I picked up an LED backup light set recently from a dude name Claytone over on wrangler TJ Forum, and took a few minutes today to get them installed.

Clay builds a nice set - very well done.

Circuit component Automotive lighting Electronic component Electrical wiring Cable

Popping them in took only a few minutes per side. To properly locate the mounting holes in the separation plate, Claytone was thoughtful enough to drop a proper sized nail in the package to use as a transfer punch - but I just used an actual transfer punch.

Wood Asphalt Gas Grass Electrical wiring

Drilled the holes and tightened down the screws...

Netbook Communication Device Gesture Finger Gadget

...removed the original backup bulb, plugged the unit in, slid the separation plate back into the light housing...

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

...reinstalled the lens...

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

...and Boom!

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

I think it took me longer to make this post then to complete the project. A nice upgrade for a reasonable cost.

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,267 ·
Since I know there are a few woodworkers out there watching, I thought I’d post a current project. It’s a cherry sofa table, and a match to a few other pieces I’ve done for our family room. It will get a hand rubbed oil finish.

Furniture Table Wood Rectangle Plant

All the joinery is dovetail, except for the lower shelf which is a floating dado to allow for wood movement.

When I do one of these, I’m always reminded how crazy sharp my carving chisels are - I went through a couple dozen bandaids…

Gesture Finger Thumb Tire Wrist

No one can say I don't put my blood into my work...

Photograph Wood Yellow Wall Font

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,269 ·
Took a run down to Hawk Pride yesterday to wheel with Chris ('92VegasYJ) and a couple of buddies.

For anyone who wheels with me, be aware that this is what happens when I'm spotting for you:

In my defense, I said "bump it," not "flop it."

We pounded the rigs pretty hard, and here is the damage report. Trashed the top and the door surround while using a tree for a pivot point:

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Wood Building material

And also lost a mirror...

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Also a few more deep dents in the armor, and a little bit of body damage, so all in all a great day of wheelin' in perfect weather.

Fortunately, I have a spare door surround:

Watch Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire

...and a spare old top which will hold me over until I can find a new replacement. The section of the main top which was damaged is in fine condition on this old top,

Wood Automotive design Hardwood Table Gas

So no harm, no foul.

Also had a cooling fan power wire come loose and get cut by the belt, causing an overheat and requiring a quick trail repair. I'll pull it all back apart for a permanent repair when I get the chance.

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,270 ·
And one more problem which started yesterday as well, and I'm hoping for some insight.

I'm suddenly having trouble starting the rig. What happens is on the first attempt, I will turn over for 5 seconds or so and it does not start. I hit it again and it starts right up, and then runs fine.

Chris said maybe a crankshaft position sensor. Anyone have any other ideas as to where to look?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
And one more problem which started yesterday as well, and I'm hoping for some insight.

I'm suddenly having trouble starting the rig. What happens is on the first attempt, I will turn over for 5 seconds or so and it does not start. I hit it again and it starts right up, and then runs fine.

Chris said maybe a crankshaft position sensor. Anyone have any other ideas as to where to look?
What happens if you prime the fuel system for a couple seconds before trying to start it?

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,274 ·
What happens if you prime the fuel system for a couple seconds before trying to start it?
It, ahhh, tells me what the problem is????

:)

You got it, 'Score. If I cycle the key a few times before starting, it fires right up. Tells me I've most likely got an issue with the pressure valve on the fuel pump. I was not crazy about the pump when I did the Hemi. I got it from Red Rock, it was all plastic, and did not look even as sturdy as the stock unit. It will not surprise me at all if that is the problem.

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,275 ·
My buddy Victor Gasior, whom I wheeled with yesterday, put together this video. He got some cool shots.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
A quick project for the rig today. I picked up an LED backup light set recently from a dude name Claytone over on wrangler TJ Forum, and took a few minutes today to get them installed.

Clay builds a nice set - very well done.

View attachment 4137542

Popping them in took only a few minutes per side. To properly locate the mounting holes in the separation plate, Claytone was thoughtful enough to drop a proper sized nail in the package to use as a transfer punch - but I just used an actual transfer punch.

View attachment 4137543

Drilled the holes and tightened down the screws...

View attachment 4137544

...removed the original backup bulb, plugged the unit in, slid the separation plate back into the light housing...

View attachment 4137545

...reinstalled the lens...

View attachment 4137546

...and Boom!

View attachment 4137547

I think it took me longer to make this post then to complete the project. A nice upgrade for a reasonable cost.

I can tell you for a fact that these things are bright, even during the day. Coming from someone who spent a day wheeling behind you.

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,278 ·
Crazy weather here. Yesterday, I’m out on the big KTM in 75 degrees.

Then 4 or 5 inches of this stuff last night, and not going above freezing today.

Table Furniture Snow Sky Tree

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,279 ·
I mentioned that at one point on Saturday the rig overheated - always seems to happen when wheelin' with Victor :rolleyes:. It turned out that the e-fan wire harness came loose, contacted the serpentine belt, which then cut the 10 gauge power wire - but none of the other 3 wires in the harness, strangely enough - necessitating a quick trail repair.

Here are Victor and Brian saying, "Will you hurry up already??? Man, we hate wheelin' with newbies..."

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Plant

So today I turned that trail repair into a permanent repair. I did not have any 10 gauge wire with me on the trail, only 14 gauge, so I doubled it up to make it work which was fine for the rest of the day.

Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle tire Tread Tire

I cut the repair out, and replaced it with some actual 10 gauge and a couple of shrink crimps.

Tire Automotive tire Electrical wiring Wheel Audio equipment

On inspection, I found the original cause. The retention clip on the fan which holds the wire harness in place (and away from the belt...:sneaky:) had cracked, allowing the harness to come loose. Damn cheap-*** Spal fan...

So I added a few zip ties to keep that from happening again:

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Back in, tested, and done:

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

Note to self: Carry some heavier gauge wire, Newbie!

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,280 ·
It, ahhh, tells me what the problem is????

:)

You got it, 'Score. If I cycle the key a few times before starting, it fires right up. Tells me I've most likely got an issue with the pressure valve on the fuel pump. I was not crazy about the pump when I did the Hemi. I got it from Red Rock, it was all plastic, and did not look even as sturdy as the stock unit. It will not surprise me at all if that is the problem.
A quick follow-up note to my post above about the fuel pump issue.

Here is the original '04 pump on the left, and the pump I picked up from Red Rock when I did the Hemi install on the right. This was an Autobest pump, and I was never happy with how it looked compared to the OEM version - all plastic, and a little bit cheapo looking. I guess it proved me right by failing (well, the check valve anyway) after just under four years.

Automotive tire Wood Asphalt Automotive lighting Road surface

Material property Font Advertising Paper Brand

I reached out to Jim Beebe over at Red Rock for more info on the pump, but heard absolutely nothing in return.

So after a good bit of research, I ordered a new Bosch fuel pump for an '05 TJ. In '05 and '06 Jeep changed over to a 59 psi pump which is what the Hemi needs. Everything I've read, and the input I've gotten from others, says that the Bosch pump is the way to go, should work fine with just a bit of trimming to fit the '04 tank, and be very reliable. Bosch, right?

It showed up today - here it is:

Wood Bag Luggage and bags Art Automotive exterior

Toilet seat Font Gas Flooring Circle

Damn, it looks exactly like the Autobest unit which failed on me. Hopefully the components are a bit better, but it sure looks like it was made in the same place. Oh well, we shall see.

3261 - 3280 of 3344 Posts