Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
3221 - 3240 of 3344 Posts

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,221 ·
Well I've now spent several days running the Jeep with the new Spal fan configuration, and it is working great. I first ran it without the thermostat to compare it to what was happening before.

With the Derale and no thermostat, it was running in the 200-203 degree neighborhood - exactly as it did with the 180 degree thermostat installed.

The Spal fan is full variable speed, coming on slow at 160 degrees, and winding up to full speed turbo-jet mode at 185. With the Spal in auto mode and no thermostat, it was running at about 172-175. At this temp the fan sounds like it is running at about 50%. When I hit the fan override switch to run at constant 100% - the temps were in the 165-168 range. Perfect.

Finally I installed the new 180 degree thermostat - and the mill runs consistently at 182-185. With the fan on blast it runs right at 180.

It seems to have resolved my problem. I do think that the larger shroud is helping as well.

Gear shift Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
702 Posts
And here it is installed. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out - although I was regretting my inability to TIG weld aluminum...

View attachment 4013045

Then I went back to what I thought was going to be the most time consuming part of the project - finishing the wiring. In the cab, I have both an override switch which turns on the fan regardless of the temperature, and also a momentary interrupt switch which turns off the fan for water crossings, etc. I was able to wire those in to work properly.

And it runs. It draws a bit over 29 amps - a bit lower than I expected.

View attachment 4013047

Although I did test the Derale 23.5 Amp rated fan before I pulled it - and it was only drawing 18 amps. So, nearly double the power.
What brand and model is that clamp-on meter.? Looks like a nice one and I need one.

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,223 ·
What brand and model is that clamp-on meter.? Looks like a nice one and I need one.
It's a Fluke 325. My big meter is a Fluke as well. Good stuff.

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,225 ·
I knocked off a quick little project on the rig today. I've got a few permanently installed devices which get power from USB, but I hate those wires all routing down to the port on the front of the dash. So I picked up a USB power port, and bent up a little aluminum bracket to mount it behind the dash panel under the steering column.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Outta sight, still easy to access, and no more USB cables in view.

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,226 ·
Also broke out the label maker and updated my PDC lid to reflect the wiring changes I made for the new fan.

Office equipment Rectangle Wood Engineering Numeric keypad

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,228 ·
New member here (definitely not new to Jeeps), this thread alone made me pay my $29.95 premium membership. One of the best build threads I've ever seen, and I'm only on page 20 LoL.
Thanks - that's quite a complement. Welcome to the forum.

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,229 ·
About 2 minutes after I completed wiring up the new fan and buttoning up all the panels a couple of weeks ago, I realized that I had forgotten to wire in the override for the A/C. Wonderful. So once again, I tore into my old friend the PDC...

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

In the old setup, engaging the A/C triggered a relay in the PDC sending a ground to the fan relay (also in the PDC), which in turn triggered the fan. Since there is no fan relay in the new setup, I modified the A/C trigger relay to pass a 12V current directly to the fan controller. I added a 3amp fuse to the PDC to provide the power for the relay.

There is a single circuit on the Spal fan controller which overrides the temperature switch and engages the fan at full turbo-jet speed when you pass it 12 volts. Since I had already wired this circuit to the fan override switch on the dash, adding the A/C trigger relay to this circuit means that there are two 12v sources feeding the override circuit on the controller.

It worked perfectly. Turn the A/C on, and the fan spins up to full. Hit the override switch, and the fan spins up to full. And no problem at all if they are both engaged at the same time....

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,230 ·
When I was testing the new configuration, I saw a minor issue - and you know how much those minor issues bother me...

There is an indicator light on the fan override switch which illuminates when you engage the switch. It's a quick visual reference when you have the fan override turned on. Here it is:

Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Car Media player

Notice in this picture that the switch is in the off position - but the A/C is on and that is triggering the indicator light.

Yeah, a little thing but it bothered me. I want that light to tell me that the switch is engaged - but it was telling me when the fan was being overridden.

The way this switch works is that the light is located on the cold side of the switch. When you turn it on, and send current to the cold side of the switch and on to its destination, the light illuminates.

Since I connected the A/C override relay to this same circuit, when that relay triggered 12 volts also comes back down to this switch and lights the light.

To rectify the light issue (pun intended), I added a rectifier diode the circuit. A rectifier diode allows electricity to only flow in one direction. I had a box of these things in my electrical stuff. The trigger circuit I added was 3amps, and I had a 3amp / 400 volt rectifier diode in the kit.

Liquid Rectangle Font Solvent Plastic

Then it was just a matter of pulling the dash apart (yet again), and adding in the rectifier to the outbound side of the override switch.

Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Cable Computer hardware Electronic component

And then covering it with heat shrink. The rectifier prevents the current from flowing back to the switch (and the light) when 12 volts hits the circuit from the A/C trigger relay.

Electrical wiring Cable Electronic engineering Electrical supply Computer hardware

Now as I understand it, one consequence of using a rectifier diode is that they generate heat - especially as they approach the rated capacity. This circuit is drawing way less than 1 amp, so I don't think heat is going to be an issue.

But, if you are ever wheelin' with me and suddenly the rig bursts into flames - you will know why...

Anyway, it worked. Now the light comes on only when I hit the switch. Once again I can sleep at night (yeah, I've got problems...:smile2:).

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,233 ·
Those of you who have followed my build over the years will recall occasionally seeing me pull out my big Laguna Band Saw. Another of my hobbies is wood working (I occasionally build fine furniture - I'm also a hack at that hobby) and for woodworking this band saw is about the best. 18", 4.5 Horse Power Baldor motor running on 220, and a 155" blade. I've resawn 16" oak on this thing. It weighs over 500 pounds - it's a beast.

Fixture Gas Engineering Machine Wood

But, it's a single speed at 3500 feet per minute, and because of that it cannot be used for ferrous metals like steel (although I have used it to cut aluminum). There have been countless times I've wished I could use it to make a cut in steel.

Over the years I've considered many ways to make it a variable speed saw, including gearing or running a variable frequency drive, but none would have been practical on this saw. So, I decided to sell it and replace it with a vertical band saw which could also cut steel.

It's a pretty expensive and specialized piece of machinery, so I figured it would take a while to find a buyer. It sold in 2 hours on Facebook Marketplace. I bought it new in 2006 - and I sold it for more than I paid for it. I can't believe how fast it sold. I'm also sad to see it go.

Meanwhile, after a bunch of research I've ordered a new Jet VBS-18MWEVS 18" Metal / Woodworking saw which should be very close to the Laguna in wood, and very good with metal. It will run from 100 fps up to 3600 fps. It's also a beast. As with everything else right now, there is a bit of a delay - but it should be here in early January.

White Light Line Material property Gas

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,235 ·
If you have followed me for a while you know that I have a Grandson named Luke (I call him LJ - but no one else does...). I believe reading is very important for a developing mind, so I picked up a book for LJ for Christmas.

It is a heartwarming story about a snow plow and a tow truck who save Christmas.

World Gesture Font Art Poster

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
If you have followed me for a while you know that I have a Grandson named Luke (I call him LJ - but no one else does...). I believe reading is very important for a developing mind, so I picked up a book for LJ for Christmas.

It is a heartwarming story about a snow plow and a tow truck who save Christmas.

View attachment 4021099
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Was flipping through your thread again and realized it's been a little over 3 years since your motor swap. More importantly you were having tons of tuning issues for a while. Are you still happy with Ryan Hogan's tune? Have you had any issues at all. Not sure if you ever put it in your thread.

·
I miss the snow...
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,240 ·
I’m very happy with the new tune. All the idle issues are solved, and it runs like a top. Solving my “I didn’t realize I had one” cooling issue has also helped a lot.

3221 - 3240 of 3344 Posts