Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 65" 10 bolt real cheap and want to shorten it to 60". for the life of me couldn't find a waggy front passenger drop, so settled for this. a shop near me quoted me $500 if I took it to him completely stripped and ready to cut and weld. to me, that seems like a lot of money. after looking at some videos and reading some forums. it seems like it's doable on my own. my fab skills are pretty good so not too intimidated but I had a few questions. a buddy of mine said it was very complicated and that being slightly off will grenade it. but I think he is referring to a rear which requires a jig. with the front, the Inner C is sleaved on so it shouldn't need a jig as long as you do the right caster, right? also is a lathe and press required to put the inner C back on. and when I do get it back on, is there a trick with welding the cast C back onto the steel tube?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on a side note, I just found out I lucked out and got 30 spline shafts. my question is 30 spline 30 spline regardless? like does dana 44 30 spline fit in chevy 10 bolt 30 spline. I ask this because there are a lot more options for axles available for dana 44 shafts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may get more replies if you explain what you have and what you are trying to achieve.
It's a full-width Chevy 10 bolt front end going under a cj7, I want to shorten the long side 5". I'm not worried about widening spring perches, my only concern with this project is getting the Inner C back on because I'm getting mixed info from other forums about whether I need a lathe and press or just a big hammer. From my understanding, from knucle out a, 10 bolt is the same as a dana 44 which is why I'm asking if the axles shafts are interchangale if they are both 30 spline.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I kind of figured it out as I went. Wasn't that technical. just took a hot minute with an 8lbs sledge. and for anyone else that stumbles upon this, 30 spline dana 44 shafts fit in 30 spline 10 bolt. I recommend honing out the inner C to get a nice clean surface. I also threw it into a conventional oven till it was about 300 degrees and it went on a lot easier than coming off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
These flat fenders can be used as seat cushions or knee pads, saving you room in the trunk. When space is small, their flat shape makes them lightweight and simple to store, and they can even be used as knee pads or seat cushions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.