Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have had my 2012 JK for almost 3 months now and all I can say is the Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires suck in the rain. Even if the road is a little wet, my JK looses traction and the backend swings around.

The tires still have good thread and they are inflated to what the door sticker says they should be.

So I can't wait for them to wear out so I can put some good rain tires on it. I just need to find out what tires that would be.

JC

·
Banned
615 Posts
Thats odd, even thou I don't like the Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's either.. I was forced to make a swap that saved our butts.. going from Mud terrains to the SR-As' was a good move, thou not the best move.. We've had the tires since late spring 2013 and the only issue was while off roading the tires didn't handle very well.. but we've had no issues during wet weather.. these tires are way better than the Mud Terrains we got rid of.. even gain an advantage with the fuel savings. So I don't know what the issue with your tires could be unless from your point of view they still have ample treads.. but posting a pic of the penny test could prove beneficial.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Well, I have had my 2012 JK for almost 3 months now and all I can say is the Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires suck in the rain. Even if the road is a little wet, my JK looses traction and the backend swings around.

The tires still have good thread and they are inflated to what the door sticker says they should be.

So I can't wait for them to wear out so I can put some good rain tires on it. I just need to find out what tires that would be.

JC
Maybe your driving style needs work.
Try less throttle

·
Registered
766 Posts
ODD. My wife's 2012 JKU as the stock SRA's and it actually does pretty well in rain or wet roads. It may lose traction off road if it rides over a leaf, but on the street they seem pretty good tires for all around use. She has had them on since new - just a little over 2 years now and has never had any issues with the tires.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
:cool: OP, are you going to complain about the complete danger/and unsafe condition your jeep is in now and just driveit that way, or--

Your discomfort with the tires performance is one of the reasons we advise to try off-roading STOCK, to discover just what (safely) your jeep is capable of--

If the suspension--tires/coils/shocks-etc are not up to your standards, then---

You either replace everything --or--AS BOGLEPARSONS SUGGESTS---LEARN HOW TO DRIVEIT !

You may be outta school, but with a jeep--you're in class everytime you driveit--

Ain'titgreat ?

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
438 Posts

JC
I live in Florida where it rains consistently. I haven't had any issues with my Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires.

Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see mention here about rain at highway speeds.

But when I said they suck in the rain, i mean going around corners and turning like at slow speeds (20 - 40 MPH). It seems worst going from a side road to another side road where you have to make a right angle turn. On the highway going straight I don't have a problem either with them...

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
:cool:Why didn't you state that in your first statement ?

But when I said they suck in the rain, i mean going around corners and turning like at slow speeds (20 - 40 MPH). It seems worst going from a side road to another side road where you have to make a right angle turn. On the highway going straight I don't have a problem either with them...
You may have a different point-of-view after reading a bunch of reactive comments-

JIMBO

·
Registered
40 Posts
I totally agree that the SRAs are a mediocre tire. They do slip a lot when it rains and the compound is very hard so winter traction and braking on dry roads was not up to par.
At 60,000 kilometres I got rid of them and replaced them with Mickey Thompson STZ Baja 255/75R-17. Same size as the SRAs. I have put 8,000 kilometres on them and the traction is extremely good wet or dry and they were really good in winter dry roads or deep snow.

·
Registered
565 Posts
get a set of goodyear silent armor tires. very good in rain, snow and ice. I have a set just for traveling, while my BFG muds are for local driving.

·
Registered
37 Posts
CxxP tires ? What are we wanting for typical road use ? Our Jeeps are a different beast than a typical family car. The Jeep is NOT a vehicle built for quality handling on hwy's or around town we all know this. A Jeep can break traction easily if we are driving a bit assertive even on dry roads. It's short wheelbase , top heavy, standard lift , is way more than a typical car..now add rain...which makes any car less worthy on the road. Tires can help but cannot compensate for a car that really sucks at handling. Jeeps are made to move forward...snow, mud..dirt, hills, terrain, rocks etc..and they do that great , thats why we have them... The Goodyear SRA's , sure they may not be a GREAT tire but they are a good compromise for what the Jeep is all about...it's a tire that supposedly covers a little bit of each scenario for a vehicle such as the Jeep ,which is designed to go forward regardless of the elements or conditions it is facing...If we want to handle better going around corners in the rain, then of course there are better tires but then we would have a different issue ! All in all, Jeeps don't do corners very well at assertive speeds , dry or wet roads...Oh and we do have another option for poor road conditions, 4 wheel drive ! A few yeas back I owned a Z06 vette ( one of many Vettes I have owned ) I used to say this car comes alive above 45 MPH, with the JK I say, this car loves 45MPH and below ! Just the opposite...Our Jeeps have a lot in common with 1/4 mile dragsters...they are made to go forward...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

Mine are prone to losing traction over standing water unlike any tires I've ever had. Any standing water whatsoever and I can expect to lose contact.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.