Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 486 Posts

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
December 2007, the purchase of my first TJ. a 1998 sport with 49,000 miles.

The addiction has begun..... All the Jeep had was a 4" RC lift. No gears, cheap tires, a beat up soft top and a lot of room for improvement.

As soon as the weather turned, I found a killer deal on a brand new hard top ($500) and a brand new 9,000lb winch ($350) I got a nicer front bumper for the winch (another $350) and some KC rally 800's (yet another ~$210)

Enjoyed this setup for a bit, but got tired of having it almost stock and decided to herculine the tub.

Next came the axles.... 4.56 Yukon's, superior super 35, detroit rear, tru trac front, slip yoke eliminator from currie enterprises, and a CV driveshaft.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once the real expensive stuff was slowed down (kind of) I got some 35" KM2's and started building my rear bumper/spare tire carrier (lunchbreak build... a different thread, see link in signature if interested)

After a while, I hit a deer (the JCR offroad bumper... top notch, killed it quick!), trimmed the fender flares, and got some ORO lite dots.

I decided that I wanted to put my license plate in the center of my spare tire, so I welded up a quick easy bracket to do the job.

[YT]
[/YT]
(This also served as my license plate light, and 3rd brake light.)
Next I decided to chop the front fenders since the deer that I hit wrinkled the passenger fender pretty well.

Now that I didn't have any blinkers or running lights, I decided that now would be a good time to address that.
I truly think that I am the only Jeep with these sweet *** headlights.

[YT]
[/YT]

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As it sits now, the pictures show, and it has a little under 65,000 miles on it. Not too shabby for a 98 sport. Okay now everybody.... tear it up! Tell me what you think.

Future plans for my Jeep are....
1. a BUILT + trussed 8.8... super 8.8 kit, and OX locker
2. a trussed HP D30 with chromo shafts and an OX locker
3. 4.5" long arm kit... Possibly Clayton, the new RC that isn't out yet (read "hurry up already") or a RE kit.
4. rebuild my tranny
5. a full cage
6. other small odds and ends that just find their way on, like a belly up skid, discos, and maybe even 37's

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IMPED - The headlights are a secret for right now, haha.

SAXMAN - Painters tape will cover up wherever you don't want the HERC to go. Just remember to wear gloves... Oh yeah, and a long sleeved shirt.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
damn it i wanan know bout those headlites hahah
In the past few days I have gotten so many PM's and questions about the headlights. I almost didn't buy them, but I figured I was going to get rid of the older sealed beam setup eventually, so why not jump on the opportunity to grab these lights and kill two birds with one stone. I need to adjust them a bit though, they have DOT bulbs in them, but are dangerously bright. soon enough I will release the info on the headlights.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
True, I never thought about that. I like the way you think, haha. I figured... To buy (or build in my case) some tube fenders, would still cost more than chopping my stockers and buying these. I would still need to address the "legal lights" no matter what. I figure that once I mangle my stock fenders, I'll make some tube fenders front and rear for it.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
is this your DD? How do you like the herculiner? Is it quieter or louder inside? Nice 98. Makes me sad that mine is beat up :(
Now its my DD, I had an XJ too that I was beating around at first, but now I just drive this. The Herculiner makes it a little louder inside, but not too bad. the KM2's are MUCH quieter than my old tires too, so that helps. the worst thing about my Jeep is the Detroit in the rear axle. That why when I finish the 8.8, and HP30 I'm going with OX cable lockers.
Thank you by the way.:cheers2:

This WAS my street beater.

1 - 20 of 486 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.