Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My Jeep History/Build

2040 8
Sup, I've had several different thread for several different things. So i had the idea of sticking to one thread including everything I've done and experienced with My Jeeps and etc.

to begin with I'm in college for Automotive Technology, I've been making great progress with with my education, even got honor roll and professors love me :)

I'd have to say last year I knew very.. very little about Jeeps and vehicles, but now I seem to be pretty comfortable working on them, except GMs... (sighs) yeah I'm not a big fan of GMs sorry. I love Jeeps, they're all I need for life.

Right now I currently drive the 1995 YJ daily, idc how many miles its got, it ain't broke since I bought it, it drives rough without worries haha. I've also got a 1990 MJ that I'm starting to rebuild the whole truck. don't expect it to be done in several months, make that years. Cause I aint got that much money and wont be spending much on it til I get a good paying job. Most of the moneys going towards bills and the YJ, maybe a future motorcycle.

well thats the first post, the next several posts I make would be what I've done so far on them, dont miss out its a lot of fun ;)
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Last college quarter, I talked with a good professor in my major, he insisted me to stick with my 2.5L engine instead of going macho with the aluminum(shrugs) 5.9L magnum. After hearing that the 4 banger can be modified to get 30-40 more hp, totaling about 150 when done, and almost 30mpg. I already made my final decision sticking with the 4 banger, since its gonna be very easy to rebuild, have great results, and still be factory/valuable. its all about originally for me.

I parked the truck at the campus, and got to work. First thing I did was take the head off. then transmission, then lastly the engine. Its all gonna be rebuilt, and transmission replaced. The process wasnt even hard, In a few days the whole thing was disassembled and ready for the machine shop.

My plan is to clean the block and head, bore the block to .030 and shave the head. that should give it more compression, I will also get a brand new kit for the engine and head, so everything will be new except the block and head haha. The transmission isn't too promising, it had problems, and I don't wanna fool around rebuilding it when I can get another for several hundred already rebuilt. I will keep the tunnel tho, since they can fit several engines.

at this point the head and block has already been cleaned, I will start posting pictures as soon as Photobucket starts working right.. (sighs)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got to say, I'm starting to love my YJ. I was following my friend about 10yds behind at 80mph (yeah i know, terrible mpg) and he ran over a very large peice of rubber, probably from a semi tire. It flew at my right headlamp, then went under the tires. When i got the chance to pull over n look, the only damage was a small crack around the headlamp assembly, it waw made of plastic. And the up/down adjustment hardware broke. So i just taped it back til i get the right hardware. I gotta say, if i was driving anything with a plastic front end, i'd be in trouble.

So thank you Jeep for making YJs out of steel :)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pictures! Uploaded from Iphone4 woot

Attachments

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Old pic of my YJ hauling wood, each section was well over 300lbs, apparently the Jeep didnt even struggle one bit hauling that to a friends house. Im afraid to put that in an small automatic ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just continued to pull junk off the truck. Most of the ac system is gone, pulled the charcoal canister n gonna keep that for later. It look good as a decorative anyways lol. I think i may have to tow it home n do the wiring there. If i cant find a wiring harness for it ill just redo the whole thing one by one.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey sup guys, its been a long time since i update this. Ive forgotten to add a few things on here. So far I've fixed my tow hitch, and added foglights on the front bumper of the YJ. I will post pictures of those later on.

My current project is to make a light bar for the YJ. I bought a holey 1x2x10 tubular aluminum pipe from Home Depot, it should serve well as mounts for 4-6 rally foglights. I plan to either rivet or weld it on the sides of the windshield, it should stick up a bit to allow the softtop come off the windshield. Wish me luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.