Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced my TPS and IAC and cleaned my throttle body while I was at it. My IAC has likely seen better days.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Has anyone ever replaced a Mopar OEM version of the IAC with a generic Chinese-made eBay knock-off? If so, I am curious to hear how many miles that Chinese-made IAC copy was able to last, given that the OEM version costs nearly tenfold the price of a copy.

Jeep purists would advise never to skimp on the cost of this critical component, warning that some eBay IACs have been discovered to be defective right out of the box, while others worked at first, only to fail soon thereafter. Given that an OEM IAC can cost over $100, as opposed to the average of just $15 for a generic copy, I would like to learn a bit more about the comparative longevity of both versions, bearing in mind that virtually all those cheap eBay versions do offer a one-year replacement warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
I cleaned mine thoroughly however the TB itself was pretty nasty as well. A 10 minute trip through the ultrasonic cleaner had it looking like new as well.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I cleaned mine thoroughly however the TB itself was pretty nasty as well. A 10 minute trip through the ultrasonic cleaner had it looking like new as well.
What did you use for solvent?

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
Agree...these things clean up fine and the TB will too. No replacement needed typically.
I did not use a solvent bath. Just some brake parts cleaner on everything, a toothbrush & toothpick as a small pick to get out anything that didn't clear out.
Repeat about every year or so.

·
Mopar Nut
378 Posts
Has anyone ever replaced a Mopar OEM version of the IAC with a generic Chinese-made eBay knock-off?
Yup. Was $9 on Amazon. Didn't need it, but since it was so cheap I thought I would replace it, then set the old one on the shelf after I cleaned it. Threw it in, she fired right up, but wouldn't idle at less than 1000RPM. Cleaned the old one up (AMSOIL Power Foam), threw it in, 650RPM. For laughs I put the el-cheap-o brand back in, back to 1000RPM. El-cheap-o got whipped across the shop, never to be seen again. It is likely hiding in fear of further abuse under a shelving unit....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has anyone ever replaced a Mopar OEM version of the IAC with a generic Chinese-made eBay knock-off?
I went with Standard Motor Products. Certainly not the cheapest parts available, but for $66 on Amazon for both the IAC and TPS, I feel that's a reasonable price from a brand that I have at least some degree of trust in. So far so good for me, my engine issue has not reared its head since this parts swap and TB cleaning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts