Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
How fast does that respond? My probe seems to take forever to show a reading.
Thanks!

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it's fast 1-3 seconds? I just tested it up against my food network digital,
in my ice water. It took about 20 seconds. I will say they both read exactly the
same, but leaving the oven door open for 20 seconds is a long time! LOL

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
It responds almost instantly, I have had one for about 4-5 years.

There are other cheaper ones with the same technology now that respond just as fast. I can't speak for how long the cheaper ones will last.

You can always just run a probe and close the oven door on the wire and monitor it, I do that with my smokers and sometimes in my oven as well.

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah this thing is awesome. The Mk4 has a few cool features.

• Patented auto-rotating display intuitively flips right-side-up for easy reading from any angle
  • Automatic backlight illuminates display in low-light conditions or even complete darkness
  • Waterproof design ensures safe operation and easy cleaning
  • Motion-sensing sleep and wake mode saves battery life-get up to 3,000 hours with a single AAA battery

·
Administrator
21,346 Posts
Worth the money I guess, especially if you are picky with your meat and want to serve it like in the restaurant.
it is. whenever I grill chicken everyone asks what's the secret. I cook it only until it's done.

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it is. whenever I grill chicken everyone asks what's the secret. I cook it only until it's done.
I do the same with turkey, and pull it at 160. I tent it and let
it coast keeping the juices in while the "stuffing," green bean
casserole, (see Alton Brown) and lastly rolls heat up. Also gives
me time to make the gravy...

People complain turkey is dry. Yeah if you rely on the pop up
thermometer that comes with it. I learned a while back it pops
up around 185.

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Yeah it works! Pulled my steaks at 145* last night, and they were perfect!
Now try pulling it early and let it rest for ten minutes under foil. The temp will continue to rise and it will redistribute the juices.

This is probably the one thing most often forgotten about thing and yet every professional chef recommends it.

If you pull a steak at 130 and you were grilling in a very hot grill, it can raise another 15 degrees in that ten minutes.

If you have never done it this way, it's pretty awesome.

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now try pulling it early and let it rest for ten minutes under foil. The temp will continue to rise and it will redistribute the juices.
I did! I went in to grab a drink, and overcooked them just a tad.
I always let them rest.

Reactions: Jeff88

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've been using the Taylor probe for years and wouldn't cook without it. I check everything from steaks to frozen lasagnas or hot dogs and they're always done to perfection when you go by temp and not time.
The Taylor costs $12 at most grocery stores or Target, Walmart. I had one quite after three years so I tossed it and got another.
Don't get the one that is a big fork. They take about two minutes before it shows the right temp.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.