Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The speakers are dead to the world. I'm not the best at this stuff but they appear to be in working order.

The only thing I've found is a loose ground wire behind the radio but when I ground it the speakers still don't work. I'm at a loss as to where it might have once been attached as well. Am I missing something or are the speakers just toast?

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
The wires in the door jamb often break from opening and closing the door. I would move back the boot and look to make sure that no wires broken.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wires in the door jamb often break from opening and closing the door. I would move back the boot and look to make sure that no wires broken.

There's continuity between the one contact and this wire but now that you mention it I didn't check the other one. I still am baffled as to where this wire came disconnected from.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
The speakers are dead to the world. I'm not the best at this stuff but they appear to be in working order.

The only thing I've found is a loose ground wire behind the radio but when I ground it the speakers still don't work. I'm at a loss as to where it might have once been attached as well. Am I missing something or are the speakers just toast?
That ground wire goes on the back of the radio.
See the tab at the top just right of center in the shot below?
I goes on there.
Remove that blue terminal end.
I just kinda clips on the tab.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That ground wire goes on the back of the radio.
See the tab at the top just right of center in the shot below?
I goes on there.
Remove that blue terminal end.
I just kinda clips on the tab.
Thanks! I'll do that then test the continuity of the + wires to the speakers. The rear speakers have a separate ground?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Thanks! I'll do that then test the continuity of the + wires to the speakers. The rear speakers have a separate ground?
Couldn't tell you and I am just guessing here but thinking that ground is more a radio static suppression thing so...
I am betting as said earlier that you have broken wires in the front doors.
My passengers side front speaker was not working when I first bought her.
Went in there, found the broken wire, fixed it, and has been fine ever since. About 8 years now.
Is there a schematic like in the shot below on your radio?
Thinking it is on all the radios.
Pretty sure this is an XJ one and not a ZJ one.
But it might not matter anyway.
If this were me I would go into door, unplug the speaker, and check for continuity with the appropriate terminal
on the radio part of the dash harness and the speaker plug on the door harness.
See what you come up with and go from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
973 Posts
Same here. Both fronts were out. One had a broken wire right at the speaker and the other the wire broke inside the bellows between the door and body. Easy fix.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, Finally had a minute to look closer. I pulled out the radio and pulled the speakers. The left is the Grn and the Blk/Rd. The right is LtBl/Rd and LtBl/Blk.

The left speaker has continuity though the Blk/Rd all the way through to the radio connector. The Grn has no continuity at the radio. The right has continuity through one of the the wires, iirc it's LtBl/Blk to the green at the radio. The LtBl/Rd has no continuity at the radio. Does this seem right?

should I just cut the wires with no continuity and patch them from as close as I dare to the door jamb and the speaker connector? This seems like the most expedient course to me. I suck at wiring in general, audio especially.

Attachments

·
Real Jeeps have dents
29,306 Posts
Damaged and broken wires in the front door hinge area and the tailgate hinge area are common. I have fixed doors wires with both methods, either patch everything together, or run fresh wires.

Reactions: Fourspeedman

·
Registered
429 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fixed it! The break was on the opposite end of the tweeter splice of the vids I had watched. It took me a minute to find the first one. I looked there first on the other and it was in the same place. I wonder which super genius engineer decided that was the best place for that splice as it seems to be the most common place to break.

Thanks so much for the help guys!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
No, the speaker(s) are not grounded. And there are two wires from the radio to each speaker. My pass front door stopped working, I just spliced in the wires from the non-existent tweeter.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, the speaker(s) are not grounded. And there are two wires from the radio to each speaker. My pass front door stopped working, I just spliced in the wires from the non-existent tweeter.
That wouldn't have worked. The break was on the other end of the splice.

Then I figured WTH and bought the tweeters. I haven't put them in yet. I'll do it if my replacement door panels ever show up.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just bought a 2001 Cherokee for my daughter and a 1995 for my wife. Daughter's driver door speaker doesn't work, pulled the boot and there are no broken wires. Wife's speakers work however, the volume output is so quiet that you have to put your ear to the speaker to hear anything. Any idea's?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Not sure what I did but re-checked all connections on the wife's wiring harness and speakers and now everything works!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Not sure what I did but re-checked all connections on the wife's wiring harness and speakers and now everything works!
You might have corrected a loose connection. Or repositioned a shorted wire.

The wire in the left, driver's, door is green and has a splice to the tweeter wire that spans across the length of the boot the worst spot to put a splice IMO. I didn't find the break until I removed the tape wrapped around the wire bundle on the cab side. I forget the color of the wire in right, I think it is the violet one, was broken in the exact same place as the one on the left.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts